JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Phone reboots with enabled fingerprint scanner

(Topic created: 03-31-2020 07:31 PM)
Ctwdubb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

My note 9 reboots when I have the fingerprint scanner enabled.  This happens when I unlock the lock screen. The fingerprint scanner functions normally for authentication in apps and such. It reboots after unlocking the phone. I have done several troubleshooting tips listed in previous posts but to no avail. 

16 Replies
MrMeireles
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I struggled a lot before finding discussions about this issue. My conclusion was similar to yours. Only I was blaming soap. I'm used to cleaning my S9+ every day with water and soap under the faucet. I stopped letting soap on the sensor and that seemed to work out, so it kind of confirmed that de culprit was it indeed.

So you think we don't need to delete the fingerprint profiles, just drying out the sensor? 

The first time this happened to me, some months ago, I just deactivated the sensor and several weeks later I tried it again and worked fine till today when it failed again. Maybe it is water. How about sealing the joint between the sensor and its fixture?! 🤔 

0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

As you have run your device under water, there may be liquid damage to your device. I would recommend following these steps for properly cleaning your device: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00086342/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userR3GiAJJhbk
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I have a Galaxy Note 9 and I faced the same problem here

I've used the phone for a video recording less then 1 meter deep. After that, I dried and kept using it normally. The next day it started rebooting when kept idle for some minutes. I tried all the following procedures for troubleshooting but the problem persisted: 

1. Used the phone in the Safe Mode
2. Reset all the configurations
3. Wiped the cache
4. Factory reset the phone

Hopeless I took it to the support service and they reported a main board issue. The solution was supposed to be replacing it, but since it was out of warranty (for 4 days) it wasn't worthwhile. 

Looking for some people with the same problem I found out that it could be moisture in the fingerprint sensor. I run the sensor test (*#0*# > Sensor > Fingerprint) and it was really accusing some failures, and when I turn off the fingerprint unlock is stopped rebooting.

Then I tried cleaning the sensor with the rubbing alcohol and left if drying. It worked! The sensor test wasn't failing, I enable the fingerprint unlock and the phone wasn't rebooting when idle anymore. In the next day the problem came back, but the sensor test was passing successfully. I cleaned it with the rubbing alcohol again and left for into the rice. So far, it's working fine.

I'm really disappointed with the support service diagnosis... 

userBpAXp9VSwg
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I have this issue now. Tried removing my Samsung account , redoing the finger print but still it shuts down.

0 Likes
Ctwdubb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Try cleaning the fingerprint scanner. It worked for me.

0 Likes
Devp16
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Same thing happening to me right now can u please help me out 

0 Likes
userzM2ZxhGX8K
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I can confirm that after replacing the fingerprint scanner that the problem went away it was about $20 in parts if you are handy and can fix it yourself and if your phone is out of warranty.

0 Likes