JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Pie 9 causing UI contrast issues

(Topic created: 02-10-2019 05:03 PM)
userIQqqO4qtoL
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

The latest Android+Samsung Note 9 update appears to have some glitches in its system rendering contrasting fonts. The biggest issue is with the button grid in the pull down menu. (I much preferred the old icons btw.) The new icons are white on light background and unreadable when inactive. 

There are other issues systemwide, such as recipient text bubbles having white font on light background and unreadable. For some issues, switching the theme helps or fixes the issue, but often creates others. (I would post screenshots, but the US forum makes it difficult. )

Q1: was this update not tested well? Q2: I don't believe there's a way to change the system font colors? If not, what is the solution? 

Solution
userIQqqO4qtoL
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I finally figured out this issue , hope this helps anyone else in the same boat. Themes can be created by third parties, often smaller developers. Samsung is relying on theme developers to update their theme to work with Pie. Since there is no way to remove a theme, I had to find a theme that had been updated to work with Pie.

I have also noticed some theme developers have since offered updates for their themes. You have to look in purchased themes and notice on the right whether there is an update available. Note: I mostly have free themes and I have noticed most of them do not offer updates. You may need to find or buy a new theme that has been updated for Pie.

Good luck! 

View solution in context

userjvTgWpc1Yl
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Two things... 1. You can delete themes by going to the "my themes" section of the themes store. Up top is a delete button 2. A theme won't update if it is currently active. Try switching to another one. Go back to the "my themes" section and see if there isn't an update waiting on the one you had active when you received the update (That's what I did, and it fixed the issue)
user8wGTxis90w
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Thanks - switching themes back and forth fixed my issue.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Something else you might try.  Go to:

Settings>Accessibility>Visibility Enhancements.  You can adjust some of the colors on the screen, change the contrast, brighten the color or reduce it to a grayscale.  

userIQqqO4qtoL
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I did try these settings under accessibility and it didn't help. I'll give dark mode a try. Overall I'm disappointed with this update. Doesn't seem well thought out.

userGOX1aGtUTC
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

After the pie update, my samsung calander has stopped working properly.  It goes to a white blank screen when I try to add a  new appointment .

JJ77
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Hi. 

I've been trying to find an answer to this through Samsung support but no luck. Is there any logical reason why the Pie update or any update in general would not get prioritised for the Unlocked Samsung Note 9?

I specifically bought the unlocked model assuming that I would get the latest patches and updates directly from Samsung without all the career delays and bottlenecks. Come to find out it works the exact opposite. And simply telling me that the userbase of unlocked models is not as big as locked models doesn't answer my question. 

I'm uneasy about the fact that here we are in February 21st and I don't even have January security updates on my flagship Samsung unlocked phone. I only recently got the december security patch in the beginning of February.

Any clarification would be appreciated. 

Thanks

VerbumVeritum
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@JJ77  is this your first Samsung device? So sorry to hear you're unhappy about the update schedule. Since the S8, unlocked users tend to receive major OS updates last. I don't know the reason for this. Possibilities include a binding contract with carriers, or the fact they want to roll out to all carriers first to wrinkle out any bugs. Don't worry though, One UI should be here for unlocked Note 9 users within a couple weeks.

JJ77
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Hi thanks for the reply. 

Yes this is my first Samsung device in a few years and might be my last if the update rollout continues to be this abysmal. Especially on unlocked devices.

I'm glad you're honest about not knowing the reasons. I've gotten responses ranging from low user base to update server overload concerns. All this sounds ridiculous to me, I paid Samsung $1000 for this device, upgrade your update servers. 

I'll be forced to switch to a pixel device to stay as secure as one needs to be dealing with banking and personal information management on Android. 

0 Likes
VerbumVeritum
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@JJ77  a Pixel is great if you want super fast updates, of course Google prioritizes their own devices first and foremost. If quick updates are really important to you, go for it. I personally haven't had any compromises in security on any of my Samsung devices. Knox by Samsung is pretty tough to crack. It's all about what is most important to you.