Original topic:

Product request: Shorter, wider phone

(Topic created: 06-04-2024 07:14 AM)
projectb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Dear samsung, big fan of the company love the tech and the direction your taking future products. I was wondering though, a lot of tech giants (probably due to cost) have kind of fell into the same form factor of phone design. I was wondering as one more form of design has a form factor of a small but wider screen been considered? The foldable phones kind of achieve this affect to a degree. Yet, I believe this shorter but wider phone may grab both an audience from mid range to high range and could save on cost. Not to mention if it takes off samsung could have a new leading product factor. Idk just a thought.

17 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

We call that landscape mode.

projectb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Perhaps but I was thinking a new phone design in general.
Jonnysteven
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Something like the pixel fold would be cool
projectb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
That's what I was thinking but it wouldn't even have to fold.
0 Likes
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
There were several experiments with wide phones in the 2010s and they universally bombed. A personal favorite was the freakshow known as the LG vu. People want big phones, but they also want one handable phones, which means that reducing width is the only route to go
projectb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
So I thought about that. However, I think the issue was those phones started to get too close to tablets being both wide and large. I'm thinking on the short side and not too wide. It would still be pocketable but not bulky. Thus making accessories wouldn't be too much of an issue and gives a medium between foldable tablet phones and super tall thin phones.
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

People want a hand happy phone.  Wide is not hand happy.

projectb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I hear what you're saying. Going ultra wide could render it "un hand happy " if you will. Yet, I believe there is a width that's suitable. Also, not all phones are for everyone. The tall slim factor doesn't bode well for small or larger handed folks. Also, for bigger hands, tall slim phones become cumbersome to type on. Plus, a wider screen ( not too wide) may provide the readability, screen real estate, and comfortability they hadn't imagined. Not to mention, people often go from one hand to two hand usage in most cases. Then, throw in the fact that when viewing media or playing games, that type of screen may look better than a simple bar screen.
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Again, rotating to landscape addresses all that. The keyboard keys are larger and the width makes it easier to read documents and articles. Making the phone you describe would only have people rotating it the "right" way, or would be a niche seller.