cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userEbs2XFksH7
Asteroid

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 won't remember Wi-Fi password

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I recently got a used Samsung Galaxy Note 5. The phone was bought in the US, in a AT&T shop. The guy who bought the phone is my cousin and after using it for about 2 years he gave me the phone. As I live in Europe I sent the phone I just got to be decoded so I can use it with my mobile provider. My problem is: When I connect to a Wi-Fi network like my home, or my work network everything is fine, but when I turn my Wi-Fi off and on again I have to retype the password again in order to connect to one of these networks. The phone just doesn't remember the passwords. I tried a factory reset but it didn't help. I asked my cousin about this problem but he says he didn't even use Wi-Fi that much and he can't remember if he had this problem too. The phone comes with a lot of built-in AT&T apps and one of them is AT&T Smart Wi-Fi. I thought maybe that app has something to do with it and I tried a lot of things with the app but nothing seems to help as I have no AT&T network here in Europe.
I thought maybe there are options in the setting of Wi-Fi of the phone. The only thing that got my eye was the option called: "Auto connect to AT&T WiFi". I tried setting this on and off but it doesn't solve my problem. Also I tried wiping the cache but it didn't help either. This really frustrates me and I have no idea what I could try next. I hope you guys can help me.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
user0thLWJ3nnH
Asteroid

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 won't remember Wi-Fi password

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ofcourse it will still be unlocked. Good luck 

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userEbs2XFksH7

So... I would try doing a factory reset on the phone set the phone up manually instead of using any of the wizards or Samsung Smart Switch (Or Keyes, Keyes still is supported on older models). It sounds a little bit similar to a bug where the Wi-Fi has trouble connecting and stuff because of a glitch in the assisted setups and is usually fixed when the phone is factory reset and is started "from scratch" if you will.  Try doing a factory reset and manually setting up your phone settings. You can download your contacts and restore that other stuff, just make sure you back everything up somewhere other than your phone before resetting it. Also, depending on where you are, there are free Samsung Help kiosks. They might be able to plug your phone up for you and run some diagnosing tests for you. I've always found the Samsung Experience Kiosks helpful here. Where in Europe are you? I realize one of these help kiosks might be far from you, but it's a good option if the factory reset and manual load of the phone don't work. 

✨KLHN1986 REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR (ELITE)✨
☆ If you like my answers, I would love stars☆

The rank of contributor is a rank assigned
to community members that have been recognized for
sharing high quality answers and material to the Samsung+ Community.
Contributors do not formally represent Samsung
user0thLWJ3nnH
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did you only wipe cache or did factory reset too? I would advise to do both using hard reset method. Make sure back up data first and then try hard reset. Let us know if that helps otherwise can suggest alternate solution which is not as straight forward but works, however let’s try with the easiest one. Try what I said and let’s see.

userEbs2XFksH7
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I did wipe cache and hard reset my phone but it did not work, i googled a bit about my problem and saw a solution involving rooting my phone but i wouldn't like doing that. What other solutions come to your mind?
user0thLWJ3nnH
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Install galaxy note 5 Factory Stock Firmware, instructions can be found here, http://www.galaxynote5update.com/how-to-install-galaxy-note-5-factory-stock-firmware/

This method doesn’t require rooting, lengthy but will fix your phone. Good luck

userEbs2XFksH7
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok, I will try that, I just have one more question: If I do that will my phone still be unlocked so I can use any SIM card with it and not just AT&T?

user0thLWJ3nnH
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ofcourse it will still be unlocked. Good luck 

userEbs2XFksH7
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Thank u my friend, I finally fixed it. Smiley Very Happy
user0thLWJ3nnH
Asteroid