Original topic:

Samsung Note 9: Deleted videos but no storage was freed

(Topic created: 05-02-2022 05:41 PM)
userewNwiBXYBR
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Hello Good People of the Samsung Community,

I recently deleted 11.9GB of videos (I know as I created a new folder on my pc) from DCIM on my Note 9. However, after deleting it, it seems my storage did not go down by 11.9GB. Though I can confirm the files are deleted in gallery and DCIM.

I've tried the below so far:

• Restarting the phone
  • Clearing Gallery and Camera cache
  • Wiping Cache Partition
  • Safe Mode
  • Clearing Trash in Google Photos and Stock Gallery (unfortunately, the videos weren't there)

Interestingly, DCIM is 16.1GB while Advanced Storage lists 29.3GB.

DCIM

userewNwiBXYBR_0-1651541236000.png

Advanced Image 

Screenshot_20220502-194630_Settings.jpg

All I can think of now is maybe backing up and recreating the DCIM folder, or a factory reset.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

15 Replies
BryanMars
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Do you have a pc or Samsung 1TB hard drive? If yes, I will advise you to transfer some of your pictures and music there. I usually do the same. Create a particular folder of them as well, though.
userewNwiBXYBR
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Unfortunately, that's how I got here ha! Was backing up some critical videos to my PC & external hard drive. Not sure if deleting from the DCIM folder on my PC caused it rather than just deleting it off the phone itself but will likely create a backup either way (also use Google Photos in lower quality). 

LongHiker
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@userewNwiBXYBR I'm pretty sure that the first screen is showing you unused files and unnecessary files. The text on that screen implies that. You will notice that the total files size on that screen is no where near the actual memory usage. 

0 Likes
userewNwiBXYBR
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

ah wow, you're correct (pays to read ha). Though it is interesting, as my DCIM folder is ~16GB, still quite a bit lower than the reported 29GB (I imagine this aggregates all photos + videos though). 

0 Likes
JCloud
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
You have to clean the trash. Without clearing out the trash. It will keep the file on your device until you remove it from the trash. In turn permanently deleting it.
0 Likes
userewNwiBXYBR
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Unfortunately, I've cleared out both my Google Photos and Stock Gallery trash but the videos weren't in there (I'm thinking as I deleted from DCIM on my phone rather than through the UI).

0 Likes
JCloud
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Possibly and maybe it isn't registering yet. I hate saying it but, A reset maybe?
0 Likes
userewNwiBXYBR
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Yeah, I believe something is off. Unfortunately, it's looking like the only option. Fingers crossed I can tinker more but worst case, it'd be good to start fresh 

0 Likes
JCloud
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I hear ya. Good luck keep us updated
0 Likes