cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Samsung Notes - ¿Default Notes files storage folder?

Hi everyone, I've been using S Note for many years on Galaxy Note -I have the original Galaxy Note released in 2011 with Jellybean 4.1.2 and S Note software version 5r19812FV03-. Then I used S Note 4.1 for a longer period on Galaxy Note 4, running on Android 5.0.1, this is a newer software even if the version number is lower.

Nowadays my main devices are Galaxy Note 10+ and Galaxy Tab S6, both with Samsung Notes version 4.0.06.5 which is the latest version available as of today. The new app is less clunky, it doesn’t crash  and it’s unbelievably faster compared to S Note on my older Note devices. It has lost important features over time and also brought amazing new features like editing over PDF, saving to several formats (SDOCX, PDF, DOCX, PPTX, TXT), also adding audio notes which is fantastic. But one important thing I still don’t get with the Samsung Notes app is where this app stores the Notes files.

From my experience with the older S Note 4.1 app, this older version stores everything in the “SnoteData” folder located at the root of the internal device storage. If you open the “SnoteData” folder, you see all the files and sub-folders you create within the app. Notes files can be directly seen on the “SnoteData” folder or inside a sub-folder if you choose to store them in a particular sub-folder within the app. When you save a Notes file, the software just saves the file by default to the “SnoteData” folder, or on a given sub-folder if you navigated to that folder and created your note from there. Now when you create, edit and save a note, it never asks you where do you want to save it, or which format, it just asks the file name and saves it very quickly with “SPD” file extension. Whenever you open a Note file and edit it, you can promptly save it with a single click and it will overwrite the previous version of the file with the same file name. This is fast and very convenient, although with limited format versatility.

On Samsung Notes app version 4.0.06.5, the current version, it’s important to remark that you don’t need to save your file every time you edit it, you just assign a file name when creating the Notes file, and then you can write and close your notes when you finish, the software automatically saves the file for you. You only need to “Save File” (using the three dots menu at the upper right of your screen) if you want to export it to another folder in any format you choose (SDOCX, PDF, DOCX, PPTX, TXT). Then the software creates a new file, with a new time-stamp in the file.

I still wonder where does the Samsung Notes app store the user files by default, since I was only able to find the SDOCX files that I saved to microSD card using the “Save File” function and not the default automatic save. This is important as I like to backup my notes on my own private hardware storage every now and then, and not only rely on Samsung Cloud. I wonder where all the folders that you see in Samsung Notes app live in your internal storage. If I can’t see this then I can’t just backup my files, I need to backup the whole system.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Samsung Notes - ¿Default Notes files storage folder?

Name a Notes file or folder "yabbadabbadoo" and then connect your phone to Windows, go into the root directory of your phone through Windows Explorer, then search for "yabbadabbadoo," inluding "search within all folders and subfolders," and then it will show you the directory of your file/folder from the Notes app on your phone.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hello, thanks for your answer, but nope, I couldn´t find the files the way you said.

To clarify: I am not exporting the files from the app with the "Save File" option in the three dots menu, I am just creating the notes within the app, and then exiting the app. If I save a file to a given folder, I can see it, but I want to see all the files inside Samsung Notes and I can't find where are they located. ¿Is it that they don't exist as single files, if you don't export them? I'm talking about the notes created with the latest version of the app, or notes converted to work with the latest version.

The problem is, I don't want to take the job to export say 500 files manually every time I want to backup these files on my own disk. I could backup the whole phone, but if I'm interested in recovering only the notes -suppose Samsung Cloud crashes and loses everyting- it is not practical nor wise to restore the full phone for just 500 files. 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Good day

The problem you are expiriencing is very common.If the file you're trying to retrieve is so important to you, the way I do it is to simply go into Samsung notes and then get to the file and on the top bar share it in any file format through WhatsApp any other app share it to someone and download the file to your device. Or you can see it using wifi direct onto your PC or to someone else and he will send it back to you or send it from the PC to your device.

Thank you 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hello, thanks for your answer. To further clarify, there is nothing wrong with my notes, I haven't lost any files, Samsung Cloud is working great, the app is working fine, etc. I'm just trying to figure out my personal backup strategy in case something goes wrong with the cloud, and something goes wrong with my devices, which is improbable, but possible.

In the past I always had independent copies of a folder with all my notes in two external HDDs, I backed up to HDD every now and then because I knew where the app was storing all the note files. Nowadays, unless I personally save the note files one by one, the individual notes files seem not to be around. Maybe all the notes are kept inside a single file and the app saves and retrieves everything from there.