Original topic:

Samsung Secure folder is now useless!

(Topic created: 08-26-2021 04:28 PM)
kenargo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

It appears that Samsung is in the process of turning off their Secure Folder feature.  I first noticed, when trying to restore a phone that I was presented with a note that "Secure folders are no longer backed up".  Next I noticed that my old backups where no longer available and then there was a long conversation with support who told me to move files out of Secure Folder, backup to OneDrive and then move them back.

You might also notice, if you look at settings and such that there is no longer a "Backup" setting, only restore.

Quote from support:

"you should move data out of the secured folder, backup to OneDrive and them move it back into secure folder"

0 Likes
7 Replies
TheGalaxy
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Secure file uses a dedicated chip. After all it wouldn't be secure if you could backup files from secure folder to anything.
0 Likes
kenargo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Coming from a computer security  background, I'll disagree with your suggestion.  Banks and other purveyors of secured information back up their systems, that's what encryption is for after all.

Not a solution so I'm not marking it as such.

Humphreys33
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
so how do you get the messages and pictures from secure folder? because it still has the option to " send to secure folder?
0 Likes
kenargo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

You can still move things back an fourth,  but the only way to back it up is to move things out of secure folder and use traditional back-up.  That alone makes it less secure.   Moving things in to secure them and out to back them up is a horrible solution.   I've gone to using One Drives secure folder,  more difficult to move things into it but it's secure and backed up, and synced between devices.

0 Likes
Gold_userL6
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Is the backup your referring to suppose to be backed to the Samsung Cloud? The reason why I ask is because I believe the Samsung Cloud has been discontinued. So that leads me to believe that the Private/ Secured Folder is proprietary software of  Samsung and that is why you were directed to move the files in and out the way that you were. I have to hope that after you moved the files etc. out of the Secured Folder that you backed up your data before moving it back into the Secured Folder.

https://support.samsungcloud.com/#/login

Samsung likes to give and take features at will. It does not matter that the features are actually liked by US THE CONSUMER.

0 Likes
kenargo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Yes, Samsung had been moving towards integration with Microsoft's OneDrive.  It currently backs up images to OneDrive and "hopefully", it will integrate SecureFolder and make the feature useful once again.  

In the meanwhile, I've stopped using SecureFolder as I feel it's useless without a proper backup solution.  I had an instance where my phone was damaged and upon reinstalling my new phone, I lost ALL secured documents. 

Now I use OneDrive's "Personal Vault", it is backed up and secure.

0 Likes
Gold_userL6
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

These companies seem to be all over the place with their actions. They have good intentions but seem to not follow through with the intent all the way. I feel like they say "Hey I have this great idea. Let's implement it but once it catches on we are going to pull it." As if "We, the consumers" should just be loyal just because they implemented an idea and the idea was great. The removed the idea but we should just wait for the next great idea to be implemented and wait to see if they keep it or take it away. But Im only one  person. It take millions to complain on a continuous basis for a business to pay attention. Even then it isn't a guarantee.

0 Likes