cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dpgood1
Cosmic Ray

Samsung Update to disable charging

JUMP TO SOLUTION

AT&T Free Msg: Urgent update. As of 1/5/2017, Samsung's software update to prevent the Galaxy Note7 battery from recharging will be pushed to your Note7. The battery will no longer recharge. This Note7 was recalled and is banned on all flights in both checked and carry-on luggage. Your safety is our priority; please return your Note7 to the place you purchased for an exchange. For more details go to att.com/note7

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Everinm
Galaxy

Re: Samsung Update to disable charging

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Right, I completely agree with you.

We got 2 Note 7 on Verizon.
Verizon statement today is that it will not be pushing any updates or blocking the Note 7.

Also, there's more chance that you have a car accident DAILY that your Note 7 gets on fire in the next 2 years.

We will keep the Note 7 until Samsung give us the option of a FREE Galaxy S8 Plus or Note 8.

DOWNGRADE IS NOT AN OPTION!

This is the statement from Verizon:

http://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-statement-regarding-samsung-galaxy-note7

14 REPLIES 14
Dpgood1
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

They will have to blacklist my phone 1st... Got to get around the package disabler 1st...

notenut
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just got the same text msg, SUCKS  how samsung wont work with its loyal customers. Smiley Mad

Dpgood1
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The only solution would be to allow us an upgrade when the 8's come out

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Re: I'm Keeping My Note 7 [ Edited ]

No pause on updates for me. 100%battery charge, 100%functional, 100%cool-no temperature rise-even under extreme stress, 100%no threat/nag screen pop-up, 100%keeping this phone. I will not permit Samsung to brick my property. I am a field engineer, and have worked on several electronics assembly lines in production, rework and QC; I now service a plethora of devices of all makes and models. This note 7 debacle is unprecedented. I can tell you not only from personal experience, but also from dealing with thousands of electronic device failures of one sort or another, low volt to high volt/current, the most common is in the charging/power regulation/modulation circuits. While many devices will have components literally burn up from power spikes, drops, and surges, few have ever caused injury or collateral damage; and further while it is possible to physically short many high current drain batteries, and cause them to heat up, melt and sometimes scorch surrounding materials and even burst or catch fire, it takes physically bridging poles or internal cells to cause this to happen...And it can be made to happen with ANY battery power source, whether rechargeable, or not.

All this being said, there were a ridiculously low number of reported /documented note 7 device failures as compared with the millions of devices activated and (then and now) in-service around the globe, all of the failures having occurred within a very short period of time, devices still in operation without incident are spanning the entire timeline from release until now. Samsung reacted by issuing a recall of the first generation devices, testing, certifying, possibly reworking, and reissuing the devices to the eagerly waiting hands of the public. This number being in the millions, not one further report of failure, explosion, or fire caused by a note 7. Suddenly, one more report of device failure, dramatic fire and collateral damage. Samsung reacted by issuing second recall...subsequently by pushing the insidious and intentionally annoying charging cap and nagscreen update pushed to the remaining note 7's pin the field. Even so, only a handful of note 7 devices have been surrendered. There are still millions of devices still in service. Not one further report of catastrophic failure has been reported, since. The numbers of reported failures do not reflect or manufacturer defect or assembly line failures-the number of devices coming off an assembly line, in such cases where mass production (as in this case) faults and defects occurr, lists in the hundreds to thousands, and are most often caught prior to packaging and shipping the finished product to their retail outlets. Given the vast numbers of note 7's which made it to all the world markets in a short amount of time, having been subjected to some of the most extreme environmental factors and conditions, were there truly an issue, it would have occurred prior to making into the hands of the consumers. Not one report of damage or fire, or explosion caused by a note 7. Not one. Intentional abuse or sabotage is likely to be the cause of the few reported failures, not an ambiguous "potential safety hazard with these devices." The Note 7 is just as safe as, if not more so than, any other device on the market-formerly or presently. I say this, because every device i have used, until now, has gotten significantly warm, if not hot to the touch, whether under heavy use and/or charging. After more than 1000 hours of heavy use, I am tapping all this out on my note 7, while on rapid charge from 32% battery to 100% charge. No temperature rise. No smoke, no explosion, no danger... even accepting phone calls, holding the device up to my ear-nope, not even a little bit warm...only a very slight glass surface temperature rise of 6°F from the backlighting of the screen. i, for one, will not accept nor permit Samsung, or any other entity, to force my hand in relenquishing possession of my property... either by update push, or by threats to disable the phone, completely. I personally believe the backlash of resulting lawsuits against Samsung, and potentially the carriers who allow and transmit the "kill switch" software to disable remaining note 7's in the wild would, by far, be more damaging and more costly in terms of litigation, monetary settlement, and reputation than the potential for the same with the alleged device failures... just given the sheer numbers. Were it myself, my company, or my partner associations, i would be examining the circumstances and factors surrounding each of the alleged failures and reports of damages and carefully assess and report the actual cause before acting as Samsung has and threatens to continue to do so.

http://www.samsung.com/us/note7recall/

They will find themselves in a world of hurt,  worse, if they go through with this. They will have to have carrier support and compliance to do this, they will also have to get around blocks to their heinous software pushes. This is NOT about safety, people. This is about covering their collective a$$e$, spelled "somebody has sued them for many $$$..." must be a lot more than the losses they would see in recalling the 2 million plus devices... the note 7 is what the world has waited for in a phone. All the best and most useful/needed features. There are a number of reasons this recall and subsequent actions are absolutely wrong on so many levels.

Highlighted
notenut
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What is it about thses phones that Samsung wants them back so Bad? Knowing that the ones still out there have no problems what so ever, they have to hack into the phone to disable them. Makes you wonder what else they can do hacking into our Note 7's

KNelson
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have not downloaded the update that limits the battery to 60%.  When I get the popup reminder I hit the back button and the window disappears.  I still have a reminder on my notification bar, but that's all.  What do you think the likelihood is of this next update being the same (not forced)?  CAN Samsung force an update?  I know that my carrier (Verizon) can target my phone for things, but should I root my phone now or wait to see if Samsung forces my hand?  I've never rooted anything and would rather not. 

KNelson
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/12/9/13899852/verizon-refuses-samsung-note-7-update

IF THIS IS TRUTH then some of us have a small respite. It doesn't say they won't in the future (although the wording is leaning towards them never releasing it) we are ok for the holiday season at least.
Everinm
Galaxy

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Right, I completely agree with you.

We got 2 Note 7 on Verizon.
Verizon statement today is that it will not be pushing any updates or blocking the Note 7.

Also, there's more chance that you have a car accident DAILY that your Note 7 gets on fire in the next 2 years.

We will keep the Note 7 until Samsung give us the option of a FREE Galaxy S8 Plus or Note 8.

DOWNGRADE IS NOT AN OPTION!

This is the statement from Verizon:

http://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-statement-regarding-samsung-galaxy-note7

2phat
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I would hope that Verizon stands up and not pushes this. They are the ones who told me that I did not have to turn in my phone. My note 7 was bought from a private seller. and verizon will not give me anything for it to exchange it for another phone...period! they will however sign me up on the egde program and let me pay out another phone.. But thats just it I will have to pay for the new phone through Verizon. Told them Why in the world would I or anyone accept this.. give awa y a perfectly good brand new Note 7 with no payments to have to get a cheaper phone that is not a exchange as Samsung boast all over the palce with.

After explaining this concern to Verizon they told me that I do not have to turn in the phone and can continue to use it as I want except I can not bring it on a plane.