cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SocoLisa
Asteroid

Samsung email app issues

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ever since my phone installed an update on October 24th (N950USQS5CRID), I have been experiencing an issue with the Samsung email app. The body content on some of my emails is not loading. The header info loads, but the moving line that signifies the email is loading/opening/ displaying keeps cycling.  I am consistently experiencing this issue with all the emails that I am receiving from certain senders.  Most of the time, I can forward the email to myself and the body content will display. However this work around does not work.

I am not experiencing any issues when accessing my email via the Windows email app on my laptop or the iOS mail app on my iPad. It is an issue that only occurs in the Samsung email app.

I thought the issue might be specific to AOL email accounts because my Mom is experiencing the same issue with her AOL email via the Samsung email app on her Galaxy A tablet. To test this theory, I setup my Yahoo email account in the Samsung email app. I experienced the same issue. So now I know the issue is specifically related to the Samsung app and that the use of the app to specifically access AOL email is not the culprit.

I have cleaned the cache (which I do regularly) with no avail. Next I deleted my AOL account from the app, uninstalled the email app (doesn't uninstall it completely from the phone but rolls back the updates to the app. I then setup access to my AOL email from scratch and that did not correct the issue.

I have been doing internet and forum searches almost daily to see if others are experiencing the same issue or if anyone has discovered a fix or if Samsung has acknowledged and is working on the issue. The only place I have found mention of the issue is in theGoogle Play store. From reading the recent app reviews for the Samsung email app, I can see that many other people are having the same issue since the update.

In the meantime, I have installed another email app to access my email. However, it really bugs me that an app specifically developed by Samsung that was pre-installed on my phone and cannot be deleted. I paid almost $1000 for my Note 8 and I expect the apps from the phone manufacturer to function properly. At the very least, Samsung should acknowledge that they are aware of the issue and that they are working on a fix an estimate of the timeframe for a fix (if that is known).

It has been over 2 weeks since the update installed on my phone and the email issue began. Most app developers have fixed any bugs within that timeframe or at the very least, let people know that a solution is in the works.

I suspect that after the Note 7 battery debacle, Samsung is most likely hesitant to publicly acknowledge issues with their hardware/software. It can be especially detrimental to their bottom line to acknowledge an issue like this right before the holiday purchasing season.

My Note 7 is the 4th Samsung phone that I have owned but in light of the current email app issue, it may very well be my last.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SocoLisa
Asteroid

Work Around from Samsung: Samsung email app issues

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I received an email yesterday from the Samsung Email app developers.  It is the most recent version of Google Chrome that is causing the issue.  I didn't believe it until I followed the steps prescribed and my email was working! 

Here is what you need to do:

Developer response:

Sorry for the inconvenience

You have an issue if you use Chrome v70 (updated), please use v.6x
we are preparing to make improvements for v70

Please refer below steps:

Step 1
google playstore
search google chrome
click three dots in upper right-hand corner 
uncheck enable auto upgrade

Step 2
Settings
Apps
Chrome
“uninstall updates” in more option

We will release it asap

------------------------

15 REPLIES 15
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Samsung email app issues

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried clearing the cache and data of the app?

SocoLisa
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes. I stated that in my post. I rolled the app back which deleted all the data and I manually go into the app in the settings to clean the cache out every other day. I have used several different cache cleaning apps, including Samsung's Device Maintenance and the ones that are included as part of my paid Antivirus subscriptions (AVG, McAfee) only to discover that they are not very adept at cleaning the app caches. Therefore, I go into the phone settings and go into the storage section of every app on my phone and clear the caches. I do this every couple of days for the apps that I utilize constantly and I clean the cache on all the other apps about once a week. I have about 60 apps installed on my phone, a dozen of which I use heavily and then there are the system apps and programs on top of that. Is it a pain to go into each app to clear the cache? Yes, but it ensures that my apps run smoothly. 

userQ7ZUhj14si
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

And to add, as a workaround if u try to switch to Landscape mode of screen, that email would load fine. So it is definitely a defect for Samsung to address. It is really annoying.

BTW I see this problem on my Note 9 as well as Note 8 GMAIL account within the default Samsung Email app.

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

have u tried it in safe mode? still same thing?

userQ7ZUhj14si
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Not sure about safe mode. But it is a serious problem for Samsung to address..

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

try it in safe mode and if it doesn't happen then one of the apps causing the issue. if it still does happen then screenshots/screen recording of the issue and send feedback via samsung+ app. in that case samsung engineers can take a look

SocoLisa
Asteroid

Work Around from Samsung: Samsung email app issues

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I received an email yesterday from the Samsung Email app developers.  It is the most recent version of Google Chrome that is causing the issue.  I didn't believe it until I followed the steps prescribed and my email was working! 

Here is what you need to do:

Developer response:

Sorry for the inconvenience

You have an issue if you use Chrome v70 (updated), please use v.6x
we are preparing to make improvements for v70

Please refer below steps:

Step 1
google playstore
search google chrome
click three dots in upper right-hand corner 
uncheck enable auto upgrade

Step 2
Settings
Apps
Chrome
“uninstall updates” in more option

We will release it asap

------------------------

userQ7ZUhj14si
Constellation

Re: Work Around from Samsung: Samsung email app issues

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, I tried the Chrome downgrade work around. And it works fine for me! Thanks. 👍

userRfpAALrQd1
Astronaut

Re: Work Around from Samsung: Samsung email app issues

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks a lot!

Uninstalling Chrome updates fixed it all.

Now I can read my emails!

/Zia