JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Security Policy for unlocking phone

(Topic created: 05-31-2023 10:52 PM)
Drewt
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I've had my Note 20 since January of 2021 and obviously I like it since I've not gotten a different phone in that time. Recently though, it's started doing something unexpected. Usually when I go to unlock, I scan one of my fingerprints and good to go. I also have face data saved, but in any case, the only time I've needed to enter my actual password to unlock has been if the biometrics are being finicky and misread my finger too many times. Which has never made much sense to me, fingerprints are considerably harder to steal than some password and the phone always has the option to enter the password available anyway. Whatever. Now though, out of nowhere, at totally random times, I go to unlock my phone and before I even get a chance to irritate the fingerprint sensor into quitting, there's a message saying "Please enter your password to log in, in accordance with the security policy" or something similar enough that my paraphrase might as well be verbatim. When this is on the lock screen, there is no option for biometric unlocking available whatsoever. I have no idea what this security policy is or where it came from, but as far as making the phone secure, they're doing it wrong. You want to make sure nobody but me can access the phone? Remove the options to enter a password altogether and ONLY allow biometrics. If someone has stolen my finger and is unlocking my phone, I have bigger problems than someone seeing a few embarrassing photos(that I'm not actually embarrassed by anyway). My question though, is how do I turn off this inane "security policy"‽ There's noting secure about it and if it deserves to be entitled, I'd recommend "pointless unnecessary inconvenience policy written by a moron who shouldn't be permitted anywhere near the design of consumer products". So again, how do I turn this stupid thing off? I won't even ask how it turned on in the first place, I've learned my lesson about asking Samsung for an explanation for anything.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@Drewt There are instances where you must enter your PIN, password, or pattern. These instances are:

• Reboots
  • Power ons
  • Every 72 hours if the PIN/Password has not been entered

Until you do that, the phone does not fully power up so the biometric sensors are not available. 

View solution in context

4 Replies
QueDogLaney
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
The security policy is wen an app has admin and u have it set to lock your screen for some odd reason android will not allow biometrics wen an admin app locks your device
MrBE3
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Have you recently installed any applications for your employer?
0 Likes
Drewt
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I've not downloaded anything employer related. I'll have to check and see what has admin privelages, maybe I let something by I normally don't.
0 Likes
Solution
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@Drewt There are instances where you must enter your PIN, password, or pattern. These instances are:

• Reboots
  • Power ons
  • Every 72 hours if the PIN/Password has not been entered

Until you do that, the phone does not fully power up so the biometric sensors are not available.