JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Trusted places not working on Note 8

(Topic created: 05-17-2021 06:58 AM)
Geejay1956
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I have a Note 8, Android 9 software that's at least 3 years old. The Trusted Places in Smart Lock has worked semi-consistently until the last week or so. I use the GPS locator for my home as well as type in the address and use it also. I have deleted both and re-added, but it isn't working at all now. And I'm getting really tired of unlocking it every time I pick it up!  Does someone have suggestions on how I can fix this please? Thank you in advance!  

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userXRN1cFGovn
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Trusted Places in Smart Lock on my Note 8 also stopped working a few weeks ago, and no suggestions I could find worked to fix it (e.g., turning on/off home as trusted place, setting ask the neighbors' homes to trusted place, adjusting "home" in Google Maps, turning Location on/off and adjusting Location settings, calibrating phone location by moving phone as recommended in Sky Map, etc.).

But, yesterday morning, I discovered that my phone was unlocked at home again. It had suddenly fixed itself without any kind of updates or other changes that I could tell. A quick Google search showed that lots of other users with various devices had their Trusted Places restored and working at the same time, 5/25/21.

This post, Smart Lock by location fixed again with latest Google Play services update: Android, https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/nl71tn/smart_lock_by_location_fixed_again_with_latest/?utm..., says that a Google Play Services was the culprit, and an update to version 21.18.16 fixed it.

It would be nice if Samsung and Google would explain how much Trusted Places in Smart Lock depends on a particular service and/or central server so that users can focus troubleshooting. It would also be nice if Samsung and Google informed all users when a critical service or server was malfunctioning so users didn't spin their wheels trying to figure out a solution.

View solution in context

2 Replies
kweengee77
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
It seems like the latest phone update messed with this setting. I got an update last Friday, 05/14. It's not working on my Note 8 either. Allegedly, we're supposed to get another system update to fix this when I chatted with "tech support." So frustrating having to keep unlocking your phone when you're home.
0 Likes
Solution
userXRN1cFGovn
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Trusted Places in Smart Lock on my Note 8 also stopped working a few weeks ago, and no suggestions I could find worked to fix it (e.g., turning on/off home as trusted place, setting ask the neighbors' homes to trusted place, adjusting "home" in Google Maps, turning Location on/off and adjusting Location settings, calibrating phone location by moving phone as recommended in Sky Map, etc.).

But, yesterday morning, I discovered that my phone was unlocked at home again. It had suddenly fixed itself without any kind of updates or other changes that I could tell. A quick Google search showed that lots of other users with various devices had their Trusted Places restored and working at the same time, 5/25/21.

This post, Smart Lock by location fixed again with latest Google Play services update: Android, https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/nl71tn/smart_lock_by_location_fixed_again_with_latest/?utm..., says that a Google Play Services was the culprit, and an update to version 21.18.16 fixed it.

It would be nice if Samsung and Google would explain how much Trusted Places in Smart Lock depends on a particular service and/or central server so that users can focus troubleshooting. It would also be nice if Samsung and Google informed all users when a critical service or server was malfunctioning so users didn't spin their wheels trying to figure out a solution.