Original topic:

Unlock phone Note 8 password unknown

(Topic created on: 4/7/21 5:36 PM)
user2reXNTrYjb
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Hello,

I have a Galaxy Note 8 phone and inadvertently changed the security sign-on to "password." The phone now wants a password to access it, but it never asked me to create a password, so I'm locked out. Is there a workaround to unlock my phone without losing my data? I have not backed up the phone, so I can't factory reset, then reload my data! I also never set up an account with Samsung Findmyphone, so I can't unlock that way either.

A local cell-phone repair facility couldn't help me, and Samsung's on-line Chat option suggested I send the phone in with receipt, but the phone was given to me by a family member, so I don't have a receipt.

I'm aware there are some software programs available for sale tools that may be able to do this, but of the two I've looked, one can't unlock my particular Samsung phone model number (SM-N950U) and the other suggested they could, but I'd lose my data just like a factory reset?

Any thoughts or suggestions??

Thank you.

Paul

0 Likes
7 Replies
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Do you have a computer? If yes then go to it, and either app store and download either the desktop version app for Smart Switch or another app you can use for creating an external storage location for your phone... use the computer internet search to make sure you have the external space formatted correctly and labeled right with folders etc for your phone model and type if the download app doesn't have a full set up wizard. That's so the phone can read it as external storage so this will work. Once the computers ready to go connect the phone and computer via USB and manually shut down your phone.. then, manually restart/reboot your phone into download mode and if it's set up right which after a few it'll tell you, will offload your phone data/transfer/copy etc which you should be able to see the file names and such but not prolly view a lot of them but that's gonna be all your important things. Once you've checked, Discontent, manually shut off, reboot to recovery mode, factory data reset. Set your phone back up how you like and then you can transfer the data back to your phone from a USB, Wireless Device share, Smart Swtich, via the mobile version for said app and just signing in, etc...
0 Likes
user2reXNTrYjb
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Okay, I downloaded SmartSwitch, then connected the phone, but a prompt comes up and states, "Your phone is locked. Please enter the password to start download." Of course my entire issue is I don't have a password? I'll continue trying. I also don't understand you comment to, "boot my phone into download mode." How is this accomplished. <My phone normally just comes up to the sign page, where I would typically swipe to find my home page. Not sure how to boot up any other way?

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Did you download the mobile app or desktop app from the app store?.... did you download an cell phone backup storage creating app? You can't just connect it via the USB because it's locked and will say what you said it did. You have to reboot your phone into download mode and it'll download your whole phone that way so you have your info copied and can factory reset your phone bud. Do you know how to reboot your phone manually bud? I can guide you if you don't? In the meantime, search the app store for phone to PC backup storage for (enter phone make/model), something like that anyway and see what comes up.

You can sign into your Samsung account from the computer and go to conned devices or devices that can access and go see if you can access your devices linked app for find my mobile, sign in and see if you can turn it on so you can use that service for remote access.
0 Likes
user2reXNTrYjb
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Hi Again,

Yes, I downloaded SmartSwith to my PC, then was eventually able to get my phone in download mode. SmartSwitch prompted me to "connect my device," but then a prompt suggests "Failed to connect device. Disconnect and try again."

The phone looks good, as it is in Download mode, but I'm thinking because the phone is locked the download is being interrupted. I'll try again using my laptop instead of desktop PC to see if it's the computer itself???

Thanks again for whatever other thoughts you may have.

Paul

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Connection failure prolly means your bootloaders still locked so scratch that.. note 8 so lol doubtful your running os 5 for the emergency call dialer codes so, use an Android screen lock remover app from the app store, or search around the web for that kind of software for downloading though be careful, go buy an android screen lock scrubber software pack from your local electronics store or computer shop. Last two, take the phone to a phone repair shop and they prolly have that kit, try signing into your accounts you are or were signed into on that phone and see if you can use the link devices and do a back up znd/or check for the last one done. Might be very recently so you'll have the phone info and can just factory reset then restore fromm that back up
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Oh and fyi.... pretty sure your Samsung pass has control of the find my phone you did set up but you can do stuff like that from your computer once you sign in your account....prolly at least be able to set your computer up as your devices admin or if you have secure folder it's actual prolly auto defaulted to that and go use it to reset your device security.
0 Likes
userqZY2GmxDjD
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I'm really not sure. I would try downloading an app called Device Tools but I'm not 100 % so don't hold your breathe. But you might have to lose the data . I hope not though
0 Likes