Original topic:

Use Volume keys for media is not working on Note 9

(Topic created: 10-29-2019 04:34 PM)
userd8uWXD3aJn
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Hey guys,

I have a Note 9 and I have the setting to 'Use Volume keys for media' activated, but sometimes when I'm watching YouTube it adjusts the in-call volume. Any idea?

16 Replies
SamsungLarryK
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Does this occur if you deselect the option?

0 Likes
userd8uWXD3aJn
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

If I deselect, the volume buttons then control the ringtone.

0 Likes
SamsungNik
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I know this kinda dumb, but any change if you reboot the phone? Who is your carrier if you don't mind me asking? I personally have the Note 9 through T-mobile and don't have the same issue. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userd8uWXD3aJn
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Yes, rebooting the phone does resolve the issue, but it happens roughly 2-3 times a day when I'm on an app that has audio (YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, etc). My carrier is Verizon. Do you think that has something to do it?

I think I've seen this issue in this message board before, just can't remember if it was resolved.

0 Likes
Charkatak
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@userd8uWXD3aJn wrote:

Hey guys,

I have a Note 9 and I have the setting to 'Use Volume keys for media' activated, but sometimes when I'm watching YouTube it adjusts the in-call volume. Any idea?

@userd8uWXD3aJn 

Do you have any bluetooth accessory connected to the phone?

Toggle "use volume keys for media" off, restart you device and then turn the option back on

0 Likes
userd8uWXD3aJn
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Sorry forgot to mention that. Nope, no bluetooth accessories connected. This is weird right? I've tried that as well and it works for a few hours or so, then it resorts back to In-Call Volume.

0 Likes
Solution
Charkatak
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@userd8uWXD3aJn wrote:

Sorry forgot to mention that. Nope, no bluetooth accessories connected. This is weird right? I've tried that as well and it works for a few hours or so, then it resorts back to In-Call Volume.

@userd8uWXD3aJn 

I know that this issue is not widespread as I have never seen this happen on my Galaxy devices. 

- It is possible you may have an app that changes some volume settings or an option that optimizes settings such as: Go to settings>device care>battery>tap 3 dots on top right and tap settings.  In there you may find Optimize settings toggle(make sure it is off)

- Wipe cache partition:

1) Turn off the device.
2) Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
3) When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
4) An 'Installing system update' message will show for some seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
5) Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
6) Press Power key to select.
7) Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
😎 When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
9) Press the Power key to restart the device.

View solution in context

0 Likes
userd8uWXD3aJn
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Ok I think I know what's causing it.

I have an app called Smart Life. It's for a wi-fi camera that I have installed in my home. It has a speaker and a mic on it. And when my volume is currently controlling media, it then switches to controlling in-call volume.

But, when I kill the app the volume buttons are still contrilling in-call volume. Now rebooting the phone does revert the volume buttons back to controlling media.

I've also tried to kill the app via Settings > Apps, and force stopping it. But that doesn't help. I'll still have to reboot the phone.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Charkatak
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@userd8uWXD3aJn 

Killing the app, may not be a good test as the app might reload itself upon restart.  Don't know if it is a hassle to setup the app again after removing it.  If it isn't, then uninstall the app, reboot device, toggle "use volume keys.." switch to off and then back on justo to be on the safe side and use it for a day or two.

0 Likes