cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Wi-Fi Calling Intermittently Causes Text/Calls to Fail

I have tested on multiple Wi-Fi networks, in multiple locations, to multiple MDNs, with multiple device models (Samsung S9, S9+, S10, Note 8), and 2 different ISPs.

Issue: When connected to Wi-Fi, calls and texts will intermittently fail to send. If you disconnect Wi-Fi, the call or text will send instantly. Occasionally, airplane mode and/or a restart is required to get the text or calls to go through again. I worked for VZW for almost 10 years, and i was in Tier II Tech Support for VZW in a call center for over 5 years (Murfreesboro location), meaning i have went through all the troubleshooting necessary to eliminate it being a phone issue, ISP issue, specific MDN issue, etc (as listed above). We have 4 Samsung Galaxy devices (Note 8, S9, S9+, S10) and 1 Motorola device.. This happens on all my devices, on multiple Wi-Fi connections from different locations and ISPs, to different recipients with different model phones.

I have Wi-Fi Roaming enabled, as well as, have already reset the app. Wi-Fi calling DOES work. The issue is... When connected to any Wi-Fi network, text and calls will stop randomly unless you toggle your Wi-Fi connection, and sometimes, restart the phone completely. You do not know the issue is there until you go to text or call someone, and you get the spinning wheel until it times out.
i do get the Wi-fi symbol on the phone app when connected to a Wi-Fi network. I am able to make/receive calls via Wi-Fi calling. However, intermittently it will cause the phone service (calls/text) to halt completely.. Data will still work without pause. So... intermittently i will go to 1) send a text or 2) make a call, and it will 1) spin and say unable to send text or say 2) calling, and timeout not being able to make the call.. I will retry to send the call or text with same result. I will turn off Wi-Fi, and it will send the text or make the call fine. I turn back on my Wi-Fi, and will be able to text or call just fine. However, later on, it will do it again.

I have noted the timing of the issue, and no, it does not matter if my phone stays idle for a long time period, or whether i was calling/texting within the last few minutes. There is not specific time it takes to cause the issue.

Also, i have a firewall that monitors speed, latency, packet loss, etc. Nothing happens on my network when this issue is present. As i stated previously, it is not isolated to my network. As this happens on multiple Wi-Fi networks with multiple ISPs.

We always update our devices anytime there is a software update released and pushed to us OTA. None of our devices are rooted/altered in any way.

Also, i have factory reset 2 of 4 devices to ensure no apps installed were causing the issues. I also, after resetting to factory defaults, booted both devices in safe mode to ensure all apps were removed by the factory reset and were not running. The issue still happens.

When i disable Wi-Fi calling on any of the devices, the issue goes away. Calls/text will continue to send and never time out. As soon as Wi-Fi calling is enabled again, the intermittent issue occurs.

Many people (in forums) will recommend turning off WiFi calling. This is not a solution, for Wi-Fi calling is for... just that, to use when cell service is poor/weak. Of course, this does fix the issue when disabling Wi-Fi calling (because the issue is only existent when connected to a/(any) Wi-Fi network). This isnt carrier specific, device model specific, or location specific. I see many forums from many carriers where this issue is happening. I see if for mostly Android users.

VZW is my carrier. Which is why i am here. I posted on their forum and they have corresponded with me until they have determined (and i agree) that this is not a carrier issue, as it is a software issue. They advised that i need to contact Samsung for this issue. Although they did offer to replace the devices, but theres no point in replacing 4 devices when it is clearly not a hardware issue. I have posted this same issue on your Samsung forum, but i have yet to have a reply. I hope there is a solution to this issue, or a known bug reported of this issue, to know it is being worked on, and if there are any work arounds known (other than disabling Wi-Fi calling as i live in a very low service area of VZW and rely on Wi-Fi calling to communicate and/or perform my job. I work from home). It is just becoming more of an issue than it is a solution due to not ever knowing when service is "hung up" while connected to Wi-Fi until i go to text/call someone and get the spinning wheel of death.
Please shed light on this issue, as to whether it is a known issue being fixed in a future software patch, if there is a current solution to the issue, or whatever info/fix available at this time.

This is clearly a bug. Multiple devices, multiple Wi-Fi networks, multiple ISPs. The only consistent piece throughout the process is Android. Also, i only have Samsung devices but multiple models (as previously stated). However, when reading different forums from multiple carriers and manufacturers, this seems to be happening with different device manufacturers, as well as, carriers.

Here are 2 links. 1) VZW Forum where i posted there, you can see their repsonses. 2)Samsung forum where i have posted without receiving a reply.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/iPhone-6/Failed-calls-missed-calls-texts-not-delivered/m-p/...

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S10/Text-Fails-to-Send/m-p/1110494/highlight/true#M61951

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Wi-Fi Calling Intermittently Causes Text/Calls to Fail

Having same issues my note 8 has aslo started glitching while on websites. I too have done practically everything you've done. I came here looking for help. Unable to find anything

Highlighted
Constellation

Same here. How do I turn off Wi-Fi calling?

Highlighted
Constellation

I am also experiencing the very same issues on my Galaxy Note 9.  I am with VZW. I have had this phone for two years and have NEVER been able to get wifi calling working properly. This is not right! Why do I have this feature if I can't use it consistently??? 

Highlighted
Constellation

I come bearing good news... possibly. I've gotten my wifi calling to finally work consistently on my Galaxy note 9.

The culprit seems to be Samsung's built-in wifi calling app (see screenshot below).

In this app's settings clear the data and cache, make sure all permissions are denied, and make sure the change system settings option is set to 'not allowed'.

Once you've done that, toggle wifi calling off and on and you should be set!

My wifi calling has been working for the last 3 hours now. Hope it lasts!  Let me know if this helps. 

20200530_145728.jpg

Highlighted
Asteroid

Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem for me. Thank you for info though! Hopefully we will actually hear a response from Samsung at some point. Although, it doesnt look promising!

Highlighted
Constellation

Just bought an S20 and I'm having this problem. I've done all the same troubleshooting. Contacted both my carrier and Samsung and they haven't fixed the issue and both refused to replace the phone. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

Same exact issue!!!

I turned off WiFi Calling and leave it off.