cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userQAcAzSmAMQ
Constellation

Wirelessly Update Note 5 to Andriod Nougat

Recently, my Note 5 lost its mind for a while and would not allow me to authenticate, either with my fingerprint or my backup password.  It ended up doing a factory reset.  I have my data backed up, so I figured it was no big deal.  After the reset, I started reinstalling applications, and that's when I ran into a significant snag.  I am unable to install Microsoft Excel.

I have an Excel file that I use to track my blood sugar scores.  When I try to reinstall Excel, which was on the phone and working well prior to the factory reset, I get a message indicating that my phone is not compatible with the version of Excel available in the Play store.  I have a backup copy of the file, but it does not contain the most recent data.  I pulled the scores off my glucose meter, so I have those, but if I can't get the file back I will lose about a month worth of meal data, so I would have the scores but not know what I ate to get those scores.  I believe the file is backed up with my other phone data, but if I understand things correctly, that version of the file will not be restored to my phone until Excel is installed.

So I checked my Andriod version and the phone is running 5.1.1.  I tried to do a system update, but it tells me there are no updates to install.  So I did a chat with Samsung support and allowed them to control my phone.  They ran into the same problem.  They did confirm that my phone will run Android Nougat.

I then tried to update the phone by downloading the update file to my laptop and connecting the phone with the USB cable, and that's where I ran into a second snag.  The laptop will not recognize the phone.  I updated the USB drivers for the phone on the laptop, but still no luck.  I also tried the USB cable that came with my Samsung tablet, also with no luck.  I think the problem is that the USB port on the phone is faulty.

So, is there a way to force Andriod Nougat to install wirelessly?  Alternatively, does anyone know how to extract the Excel file from the backup file made by Google, or is there a way to restore that file to my Android tablet?

Thanks for any help that you can offer!

--Tom

1 REPLY 1
Honored Contributor

Re: Wirelessly Update Note 5 to Andriod Nougat

@userQAcAzSmAMQ wrote:

Recently, my Note 5 lost its mind for a while and would not allow me to authenticate, either with my fingerprint or my backup password.  It ended up doing a factory reset.  I have my data backed up, so I figured it was no big deal.  After the reset, I started reinstalling applications, and that's when I ran into a significant snag.  I am unable to install Microsoft Excel.

I have an Excel file that I use to track my blood sugar scores.  When I try to reinstall Excel, which was on the phone and working well prior to the factory reset, I get a message indicating that my phone is not compatible with the version of Excel available in the Play store.  I have a backup copy of the file, but it does not contain the most recent data.  I pulled the scores off my glucose meter, so I have those, but if I can't get the file back I will lose about a month worth of meal data, so I would have the scores but not know what I ate to get those scores.  I believe the file is backed up with my other phone data, but if I understand things correctly, that version of the file will not be restored to my phone until Excel is installed.

So I checked my Andriod version and the phone is running 5.1.1.  I tried to do a system update, but it tells me there are no updates to install.  So I did a chat with Samsung support and allowed them to control my phone.  They ran into the same problem.  They did confirm that my phone will run Android Nougat.

I then tried to update the phone by downloading the update file to my laptop and connecting the phone with the USB cable, and that's where I ran into a second snag.  The laptop will not recognize the phone.  I updated the USB drivers for the phone on the laptop, but still no luck.  I also tried the USB cable that came with my Samsung tablet, also with no luck.  I think the problem is that the USB port on the phone is faulty.

So, is there a way to force Andriod Nougat to install wirelessly?  Alternatively, does anyone know how to extract the Excel file from the backup file made by Google, or is there a way to restore that file to my Android tablet?

Thanks for any help that you can offer!

--Tom

I don't remember which options Note5 has, but does it have Galaxy Store? 

You mentioned you have a backup and it should restore your apps, settings.

I don't think Excel file would be stored in Google backup.  Maybe it is in Google Drive or Microsoft One drive or it was somewhere in your phone

If update doesn't exist or was not release, you can't get it over the air