Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tataylor
Asteroid

Always On Display Always Turning Off

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just bought 2 new S7's.  One of them the always on is always on.  The second one starts out with the clock showing like it should but at some point later when I go back and look no clock, just dark screen.  I have compared settings on both and can't find any differences.  What am I missing?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bbowden
Constellation

Re: Always On Display Always Turning Off

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This isn't a software issue.  I noticed that mine went off after the second minute changed on my always on display.  It would start at 8:35 and when it turned over to 8:37, the always on display would go off.  I had been noticing that my display had been going off immediately when I made a call.  So it was a proximity sensor issue.  I removed my screen protector and it solved it completely for both issues.  Turns out there was a tiny crack in the screen protector very close to the 2 holes at the top where the proximity sensor is.

48 REPLIES 48
Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, Tataylor and thanks for being part of the Samsung Community. We appreciate your active participation and inquiry. We do advise including as much information about your device in your initial post. This allows the community to better respond to you and provide more accurate answers. We would recommend ensuring that one of the devices does not have power saving mode on. Please ensure to check all your display settings on both devices. 

Andy
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Andy
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I have the same problem. My wifeson s7 AOD works fine but my s8 the AOD goes away around noon everyday, then when I wake up in the morning the AOD is working again until around noon.
tataylor
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I actually found no resolution for this.  The Samsung rep tried numerous things and we even reflashed the OS.  Samething, always turning off.  I had my screen set for a one minute time out and noticed that it almost always turned AOD off after the second full minute flip as seen from the AOD.  Clock would flip the minute and almost instantly AOD would go off.  We changed it so the screen would stay on for ten minutes and the AOD turnoff behavior seemed to follow that so off at 12 minutes instead of 2 minutes.  I actually ended up with a new phone which is working much more as expected.  This is true even with Samsung transferring evrything from the old phone over to the new phone.

Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, tataylor and Andy, we appreciate the information. The Always on Display will change brightness based on the light in the room. It averages about 40 seconds to react to your surroundings. We also recommend ensuring that your device is up to date. To do this, you would go to settings, about device, and select software update. 

bbowden
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This isn't a software issue.  I noticed that mine went off after the second minute changed on my always on display.  It would start at 8:35 and when it turned over to 8:37, the always on display would go off.  I had been noticing that my display had been going off immediately when I made a call.  So it was a proximity sensor issue.  I removed my screen protector and it solved it completely for both issues.  Turns out there was a tiny crack in the screen protector very close to the 2 holes at the top where the proximity sensor is.

tataylor
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That is interesting and makes sense.  Even though I was not aware of anything wrong with my screen protector I was ceratinly using one.  Asa matter of fact I was using one of those fancy new Zagg Glass Curve's on it.  Perhap with its thickness it was just a little to close to one of the eproximity sensor holes.  Good call.

userWcZcEozFZe
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Turn OFF the night clock on the picture below and you should be fine.

Worked for me 😊

userAEKotNkSB6
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Where is this setting? Im using S8+