Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userdqL7O5yrYa
Asteroid

Always On Display Turns Off When Phone Turns Off

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello,

I am using a Galaxy S9, recently updated to Android Version 9, One UI Version 1.0.

I am trying to turn on Always On Display. When I toggle the switch, it sets to "on." As long as the screen of my phone is on, the switch stays "on." Immediately, when I press the power button to put my phone to sleep and turn the display off, the switch for Always On Display goes to "off."

This did not happen before the recent update. Therefore, I believe it is a bug with the update and not a side effect of any apps I am using.

If anyone has experienced this before, I would appreciate the help. I searched for this issue online and did not come across any other reported instances. In some of the other posts I have seen about problems with Always On Display randomly turning off, the advice was to remove the screen protector that could be interfering with the proximity sensor. I am not using a screen protector, and I have had no problems with the proximity sensor, so I know that is not the case here.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userdqL7O5yrYa
Asteroid

Re: Always On Display Turns Off When Phone Turns Off

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I ended up fixing the problem with a hard reset. Nothing else worked.

7 REPLIES 7
userPxSmNXhnuU
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a similar issue since the latest update. My always on display is toggled on, but never will the display stay on like it's suppose to. Screen just goes black.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Does this occur with the device in safe mode?

userdqL7O5yrYa
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry for the late reply -- yes it also happens in safe mode.

userdqL7O5yrYa
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I ended up fixing the problem with a hard reset. Nothing else worked.

Pazzazz
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry but this is a terrible "solution." There's a new setting where you can leave the always on display on or only when tapped. See poster below. Wish I could unmark this as a solution and mark the other response as the correct solution.

userPxSmNXhnuU
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I should have looked into it more before posting. I fixed my problem by going into always on display settings. It's either a new option or an option that got reset by the update, but Display Mode was set to only show on tap. I set it back to always display, and now have no problems with it. 

Pazzazz
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks so much! It drove me crazy after I just recently updated it. I think they added that option. So glad I found your answer.