JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Android 11 broke Auto-rotate

(Topic created: 01-30-2021 08:54 AM)
userTaytoX91T9
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I updated my S10 (Verizon) to Android 11 when it was released this week and it seems to have broken auto-rotate or the driver for the accelerometer. The phone no longer can sense when the phone is rotated and only defaults to one side when full screen is selected. 

I have spread restarted, ensured the auto rotate setting is on, tried turning it off and then on. I have downloaded an app that let's me manually rotate to fix the problem.

I'm only posting here because I cannot find a way to contact Samsung and report the bug.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
jpinsl
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I had the same problem. clearing the system cache and/or calibrating the accelerometer seems to have fixed it

View solution in context

0 Likes
19 Replies
Patriot1776JG
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S Phones
go to Samsung website and look at repairs and see if phone under warranty, or start a claim for repair.
0 Likes
Solution
jpinsl
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I had the same problem. clearing the system cache and/or calibrating the accelerometer seems to have fixed it

View solution in context

0 Likes
lobau
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

My auto-rotate is also broken since Android 11 on my Galaxy S10e. I tried everything 😞

0 Likes
lobau
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

For anybody with the problem, I finally figured it out following this issue on the pixel with android 11 https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/70683858?hl=en&msgid=72435216

You have to clear the cache of the "Android System Webview" in Setting > Apps and restart your phone. Phew

0 Likes
userTaytoX91T9
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thanks for saving my life!

userxTnm0rm1ne
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This does work for couple of hours, but then the auto rotate stops working again. It's a really annoying thing that breaks the trust to Samsung phones in future. 

usersOt6QJAoHt
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Same here with my S10e. I can't even find the setting anymore. Will you give me the name of the app you downloaded, please? Thanks!
0 Likes
userskaOnnzcRs
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This issue should not be marked as solved. 

I'm experiencing the same problem on my S10 after upgrading to Android 11 (which I deeply regret because this is one among many many problems in that update). Clearing the cache and restarting solves the problem for a couple of hours, but it eventually stops working and you have to restart again which is extremely annoying.

It's been a month since this bug has been reported and Samsung is doing a dirt poor job in tracking and addressing these issues. Instead of putting thousands of developers on reinventing the wheel in 20 different stock apps that nobody really uses, they should invest some more in the software stability of their devices. 

I've used Samsung phones for about 7 years now, but I'm pretty sure I'll be switching to iPhone after this.

crazysaguaro
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I am having this issue on my new Samsung Galaxy Tab S7.  The solution in this post did not fix it.

My issue is that I like to have the tablet locked to portrait in the upside down position (charger end up) so I can charge while it's sitting on my tablet wedge pillow. Most apps open and obey the lock, but some (Walmart Grocery and Words With Friends, amongst others) ignore the lock and flip the screen around anyway. Very annoying! If anyone has a fix, please reply.