Original topic:

Android Messages has been SUPER slow on my Samsung Galaxy S20

(Topic created on: 4/17/21 7:18 PM)
matthewslimmer
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Android Messages app has been SUPER slow on my Samsung Galaxy S20. I love the RCS and web interface, so I'm sticking with Android Messages for now. I also tried Pulse SMS, but I still prefer Android Messages. A few months ago, I noticed that it went from snappy to very slow. I wish I could have the latest version working though! (which has scheduled sending).
Of course I tried simply clearing cache and data, and uninstalling/reinstalling the latest version. The slow behavior persisted. So I went into the past versions...

POSSIBLE WORKAROUND:
I tested several old versions of Android Messages trying to find the moment when the app slowed down for me. Then I upgraded the app, one update at a time. I found that 6.8.073 (October 28, 2020) is the most recent, fastest working version for me https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/messenger-google-inc/messenger-google-inc-6-8-073-release/

About my setup:
Samsung S20
7,045 contacts, stored on Device and on Google Contacts. Yes, I horde, because I need a lot of business contacts and resources.
103,612 old sms messages kept. Yes, I horde, because past conversations are important. Again, business conversation purposes.

Versions I tested:
6.7.079 fast NEW message contact lookup, fast open any old message, RCS on. Web pretty fast new messages too
6.8.072 fast NEW message contact lookup, fast open any old message. Web 5-9sec new messages
6.8.073 fast NEW message contact lookup, fast open any old message, RCS on. Web pretty fast new messages too
6.8.076 okay NEW message contact lookup, fast open any old message, RCS on. Web pretty fast new messages too
6.8.077 fast NEW message contact lookup, about 3-6sec to open any old message, RCS on. Web pretty fast new messages too
6.8.078 fast NEW message contact lookup, about 3-6sec to open any old message
6.9.085beta fast to open old messages 1sec, 7-11sec for new message contact lookup
7.0.033beta [bundle] 7-11sec for new message contact lookup, about 3-6sec to open any old message
7.0.036beta fast to open old messages 1sec, 9-11sec for new message contact lookup
7.0.037 fast to open old messages 1sec, 7-11sec for new message contact lookup
7.1 fast to open old messages 1sec, 7-9sec for new message contact lookup
7.2 fast to open old messages 1sec, 7-9sec for new message contact lookup
7.3 fast to open old messages 1sec, 15-23sec for new message contact lookup

If you have anything else I could try in order to stay on the latest version, please let me know!

2 Replies
Chef31684
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Can't wait till they fully integrated Google RCS into Samsung Messages as announced. I like Samsung Messages the best, but that will be icing on the cake.

What is the web interface in Android Messages that you are speaking of?
matthewslimmer
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
@Chef31684 it's messages.android.com