Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userZvFJIGtCmt
Asteroid

Android nougat on unlocked G935A

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi All,

I have a s7edge bought with AT&T. Unlocked my device as I have to move to India. I am unable to update as well as upgrade software on my phone. When I do software update is says it's up to date although it's still in marshmallow Nov security update. Please suggest how I can update security patch as well as move to nougat. Samsung customer service here is not able to help as the phone is purchased from USA

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Android nougat on unlocked G935A

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userZvFJIGtCmt

Just so you know, it looks like you are actually already on the latest AT&T firmware. Hence no updates will be showing available.

https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tutorial.html#!/stepbystep/id/stepbystep_KM1135854?make=Samsung&mode...

Sent from the famously UNSUPPORTED SAMSUNG GALAXY S7 EDGE (SM-G935U).
30 REPLIES 30

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You stated that you have to move to India. Have you already made the move? Or are you still on AT&T with an AT&T sim card?

If you've already made the move, you will no longer receive updates as the phone is carrier branded. Even though it's unlocked, the firmware is still the AT&T version which requires updates to come from AT&T with an AT&T sim card.

I may be wrong, but I think you've got two options. First, I think you can still update by connecting your phone to a PC and using Samsung Smartswitch to do the update regardless of where you are located.

Second option would be at your own risk by flashing a different firmware for a factory unlocked version of the S7 Edge. Maybe someone else could chime in on this as I'm not 100% sure that would solve the issue. You could also look into flashing the S7 Edge firmware specifically for the carrier that you are now on.

Good luck.

userZvFJIGtCmt
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

HI Steel City PGH,

Thank you for your reply. Yes I have moved to India and terminated my contract with AT&T and using the local Carrier here.

Options tried:

1. Tried smartswitch and it did not work out or may be I am missing the steps. Please share the steps to update as well as upgrade through smartwsitch.

2. Called Samsung support here in India but they dont know how to do the update/upgrade to US phones.( Indian phone are upgraded to nougat couple of weeks ago either through OTA or smartswitch or service centers)

3. About device--> software update -- It shows up to date although its still in Nov  1, 2016 security patch.

Customer care rep here suggested I call samsung USA customer care which is not possible to reach toll free. And I cant make 100's of dollar worth call from a non toll free number :-)

Suggestion's appreciated.

NexusGalaxy
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I would say flash the G935u firmware. It unlocks all the bands so you would get the best signal/mobile data if you stick a sim card from India in your phone. Only keep the g935a firmware if you are sticking with the att sim card. Also G935U firmware gets updates quarterly and the newest security update is December/January. G935U doesn't have nougat yet. That's my 2 cents. 

Here's a link for g935u firmware fastest download:

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=385035244224411333

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@NexusGalaxy

Actually, I would NOT flash the G935U firmware!! The OP stated he moved to India and the G935U firmware is for the United States unlocked version only! There are features that are region specific that would not work with that firmware outside of the US. (Samsung Pay, for one)

There is a specific firmware for the international unlocked version -  the G935F. The issue might be whether or not the firmwares are specific for the processor in the phone. The G935F has the Exynos vs the G935U having a Snapdragon. Not sure if the firmwares are compatible. 

@userZvFJIGtCmt

I would recommend checking out 

https://www.xda-developers.com

If you browse the forums and post your question there, you might get a much more reliable answer than we can give you here. This forum is specifically for the US market while over at XDA you will find a more international audience. Plus, there are some international engineers that frequent their boards and those guys seem to really know there stuff when it comes to questions like this.

I'm hesitant to give much more advice regarding this as I'm not sure about the rules of this forum concerning discussion of flashing firmwares. You can always send me a private message and I can try to point you to other resources.

Best of luck!

NexusGalaxy
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The OP stated he bought the phone with att. Therefore it comes with Snapdragon and att firmware. He is stuck on att modem/radio with att bands/lte bands. So it makes sense for him to flash g935u firmware to unlock all bands and have g935u modem/radio. And why wouldn't Samsung pay work? It's standard on all Snapdragon US phones. And it's standard on international exynos g935f. 

The only other option is to sell the phone and buy the international version with exynos processor model g935f for best compatibility use. 

NexusGalaxy
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Also carrier firmwares get their updates from the carrier. If you are on g935u firmware. Your updates come straight from Samsung. 

Please inform us,  is your phone carrier branded with att logo on the back. If it is then you have Snapdragon processor so flash g935u firmware for best international compatibility with signal. Otherwise as I said, if you can afford it: sell it and buy international exynos processor g935f. 

userZvFJIGtCmt
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Yes its from AT&T and have snapdragon.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I know that the G935F is generally not compatible with Samsung Pay in the US and I'm under the impression that the reverse is also true. Most often an error message is given...

"You cannot use Samsung pay with a SIM card from other countries. Insert the SIM card from *country*."

userZvFJIGtCmt
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Unfortunately Smasung Pay is not available in Inida yet. I was a big user of it while living in USA. I ll be ok without samsung pay and have the latest update