cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
useraiMtAZehtE
Asteroid

Any way to get 6.0.1 Marshmallow back? 7.0 Nougat is terrible. (Yes you can. solved)

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a T-mobile Galaxy S7. Has been the best phone I have owned while it was on Marshmallow. But I also love updates, so I let the phone update last month to Android 7.0 Nougat. I could put my list of issues and complaints here, but the point is that I have tried for weeks now to make my life work with 7.0, but the SD card issue is driving me nuts to the point that I can't take it anymore. I will get new pictures either from download or the camera onto my SD card and the same day some of them will not load. I can't risk losing photos before I can even back them up the same day.

I contacted T-Mobile and they said that only Samsung has the control to allow a downgrade. That T-mobile has nothing to do with it.

So how can I get Android 6.0.1 stock T-mobile firmware back on my phone? I can backup everything.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
useraiMtAZehtE
Asteroid

Re: Any way to get 6.0.1 Marshmallow back? 7.0 Nougat is terrible.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Solved it myself! 

I easily Downgraded from the official OTA 7.0 T-mobile update to the official T-Mobile 6.0.1 firmware without rooting and without tripping the Warranty Void flag and without tripping KNOX or anything else. And I am now back on the official T-mobile 6.0.1 firmware. Not rooted, not unlocked, etc. It does require completely wiping your phone as if you just got it from the store. But it was pretty easy and works fine. I am now just setting everything up again from scratch.

Not sure if I am allowed to post the URLs. Here is the overview:

1. Backup anything you want on your phone manually to a computer like photos/videos, and with the Samsung Account phone backup online.
2. makes sure the phone is 80% or higher charge.
3. SD and Phone contents will be 100% lost and wiped. Samsung Pay will be cleared, fingerprints cleared, etc. Will be like store new.
4. Download the official T-mobile firmware for 6.0.1 "G930TUVU4APK1_G930TTMB4APK1_TMB.zip" , that is the file name for the T-mobile S7 (non-Edge) phone. Extract contents.
5. Download the latest ODIN app 3.12.3
6. If you have already used your phone on the computer, the drivers should already be in place.
7. Run ODIN.
8. Turn off your phone 100%, wait a few seconds to shutdown.
9. Hold Vol Down+Home+Power buttons for a few seconds. And when the screen comes on, let go. You should now see a screen warning about firmward. Press UP to continue to the Download Mode.
10. Now plug your phone into the PC with the USB cable. If drivers are in place, ODIN left side will say "added".
11. Press the button for BL, AP, CP, CSC. and load each file. For CSC choose the "HOME_CSC" file instead of the just CSC.
12. Press Start and wait. You will eventually get a greet box in ODIN. And when the phone reboots you can remove the USB cable.
13. You will now need to go into Recovery Mode to wipe the cache. Regardless of what the phone is now doing, likely a boot loop. Press and hold VOL UP+HOME+POWER to boot into Recovery Mode. You will have a back screen with a text menu. Navigate with vol keys and select with power button. Choose WIPE/FACTORY RESET. Followed by WIPE CACHE. Then choose the reboot phone option.
14. Phone will then have a white loading bar for a while. And should now boot to the factory new welcome screen where you pick the language and continue.

Overall pretty easy. Other than having to start from scratch. The only thing I am trying to figure out now, is how to get Android to stop asking me to upgrade again to 7.0!

36 REPLIES 36
Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION
useraiMtAZehtE , The only way to downgrade from the 7.0 Nougat tot 6.0.1 is to root your phone to a Custom ROM that uses 6.0.1. The only way I have heard Samsung and other OEM's doing this is by the customer sending the phone to them, and the OEM flashing it but this is not confirmed a resolution. Please, if you do root, please do it after a good nights sleep, you are conscious and alert, and follow the directions word for word. It is very easy to miss something and now it's even worse. Let me know if you find anything out by replying to this thread.

Acrillix - Samsung Community Valued Contributor Elite Member
Be sure to click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you and "This Helped Me" if it's helpful.
My Blog - Guru of the Galaxies: http://guruofthegalaxies.com/
useraiMtAZehtE
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I can download the official stock T-mobile Marshmellow 6.0.1 firmware. I don't want to use a custom firmware. The question is how do I flash the stock T-mobile firmware of 6.0.1 to overwrite the 7.0 upgrade?

athenalong
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What happened? Should I not update?

useraiMtAZehtE
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userCT6JyD5L0w wrote:

What happened? Should I not update?

Yes! Please don't upgrade. Do some google searching and you should find the massive thread on this forum and big treads at T-mobile and other forums on the issues as well as non-issue changes that are driving people nuts. And to think there were so many people, including myself, that were excited to get the OS upgrade! I usually love OS upgrades, tech geek at heart. But this one has been painful. Which is a first for me.

Highlighted
athenalong
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks so much for your response =]

Glad to see that you were able to downgrade. 

If for some reason I happen to not like 7 or need to go back to 6, I will come back to this thread. 

Thanks!

user1QNu11PcUT
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

DO NOT UPDATE TO NOUGAT. IT IS A MISTAKE AND SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN RELEASED. MY PALM SWIPE FOR SCREEN CAPTURE STOPPED WORKING,  FINGERPRINTS DO NOT REGISTER AT ALL AT TIMES. SOMETIMES IT PUTS THE LETTER F WHEN I PRESS SPACE BAR OR R WHRN I PR3SS e. THat Is just some of the BS. Now it is automatically taking off caps lock. No predictive text in browser anymore, and the predeictive text is no longer predictive. I got rid of my HTC 1 m8 due to the prrdicriv3 t3xt not being available always. So yeah, update. The split app thing only works when you dont want it. Also, it is dificult to drag the top menu down. We need to fpcus on the education system here, obviously our future is advancing backwards. This is the worse ever, I have loved android untill now. Maybe its a marketing scheme to force you to upgrade your cell, i believe its intentiinal.

user9l4C4GBCqL
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Leaving Samsung because of this F'ed up Nougat. HATE IT! Font to small, too many buttons to push to oust things, Takes to **bleep** long to navigate now.  Samsung made me hate my phone, because of this update and they did not offer us a way to revert back to Marshmallow, hello they didn't  even offer a Nougat tutorial to see if the masses wanted to update. 

useraiMtAZehtE
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@user9l4C4GBCqL wrote:

Leaving Samsung because of this F'ed up Nougat. HATE IT! Font to small, too many buttons to push to oust things, Takes to **bleep** long to navigate now.  Samsung made me hate my phone, because of this update and they did not offer us a way to revert back to Marshmallow, hello they didn't  even offer a Nougat tutorial to see if the masses wanted to update. 

Or you can revert back to Marshmellow 6.0.1 stock like I did and love your S7 again. I have a long post on how to revert. If you are patient, it isn't too hard. But it does wipe out your whole phone, so make sure your photos and stuff are copied to your computer.

I know that Nougat came from Google, but Samsung didn't apply the same high level of changes like they did to Marshmellow 6.x. So instead of the nice Samsung altered Google OS with 6.x, we get a very vanilla Google OS Nougat which if I wanted vanilla, I would have bought a Nexus. So I will just stay on 6.0.1 unless Samsung released an altered 7.x that doesn't suck.

userBGhiNNeWGf
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I made a post as well on my issues with the Nougat update. It seems that downgrading is the only solution. Gald I found this post and I'm not the only one.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S-Phones/Galaxy-S7-and-S7-Edge-SMS-Errors/m-p/126614#M288...