cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
knezwek
Constellation

Apps are opening by themselves in the background

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So I've noticed some odd behavior on my phone recently.  Before I go to bed, I will force close all of my apps with the "close all apps" button.  However, sometimes I'm OCD and I double-checked to see that I closed all the apps, and when I went in to check there were about 7 random apps open that weren't open previously and that I hadn't even used recently (one was Yahoo! Sports, which I only use for Fantasy Football, so it would have been months since I last used this).  

I began to double-check this every night for the past few weeks and it keeps happening!  I can't seem to find a pattern of the apps that are opened by themselves (some apps that have been opened are Play store, Duolingo, Telegram, Gallery, SnapChat, Zillow, etc).  

I also want to note that they are not opened on the main screen (like when I unlock my phone, I only see my home screen).  I have to touch the lower left button that shows you all open apps and that's where I see that these apps have all been opened.  Normally, if you're apps are all closed and you hit that button it will say "No Recently Used Apps".

Any ideas?  I just tried it again, and after about a minute 2 apps had opened themselves back up.  This is so weird!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userSs5MP1MqVU
Constellation

Re: Apps are opening by themselves in the background

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Yep this definitely is not a Samsung problem or any other brand of phone problem. This absolutely has to be an Android problem. I just bought my phone brand new 2 days ago. It may not be as top of the line as a newer Samsung phone as it's a Moto e5 Supra but it's a decent phone. From the moment it's first been powered on more than 50% of the time when I turn my screen on there will be an app open even though they were all closed before turning the screen off. The common factor between all of us that have this issue seems to be that we all have Android 8.0.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello there, @userzCU4l978bQ.
Let's try some troubleshooting steps, just let us know how these go!

1. Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  2. Is your phone OS up to date? Go to Settings, About phone and check for software update. Make sure you have the latest phone software. 
  3. Clear phone cache. Instructions are here
  4. Clear Application cache and sometime Application data. Instructions are here
  5. Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd part apps. Instructions are here

If those don't help, we certainly want to assist you further with this matter. To better do that, can we have some added details about your specific device and this concern? Things that will help the most would be the exact model number and Baseband version (both under Settings>About Device) for your device as well as your carrier. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

knezwek
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks!  It looks like I do have updates to do, so I will get those underway once I'm on wi-fi.  I will keep you posted if that (and the other items you mentioned) works or not!

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No problem! Just let us know if you need anything else.  Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

usertt32tBPbVn
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This has been happening to me too.  One time, after unlocking, I found the Fandango app open when it wasn't opened when locked.  Another time, it was Samsung's Theme app.  I just now performed a software update.  We'll see if the problem continues.

user91x6MFDLwt
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Definitely was not a solution. I have an s6 and this keeps happening to me. Its almost like someones using my phone remotely. Apps that need fingerprint or password to open are there without needing to use my print or password, apps i use recently are there, apps ive not used in months are there. Everything is updated 100%. This is only one of the myriads of issues i have had with this phone. Unfocused buzzing camera, knox, and the continual freezing where i need to restart. I used to be so anti-iphone/apple products but samsung have turned me off android for life.

user7Q3uLUEyPM
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have had this issue as well and have tried all of the afore-mentioned troubleshoots including going as far as performing a complete factory reset. I now have very few apps installed on my phone other than the ones that came preinstalled by verizon, and i am still having this issue. It seems like it only happens when my phone has not been touched in a  while such as after closing out all apps and putting my phone up on my desk to charge.

userAM5kLaal0L
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I read through the thread and already tried EVERYTHING on suggest solutions. The apps still open on my Samsung Galaxy 6 on there own. After about 30 minutes. It is continuously draining my battery.

Interestingly I have an IPhone 8 I use for work. It never happens on IPhone. Your responses go back to 2017. So Do you have a solution or not? If this is android issue then you need to work with them to fix it. If you do not have a solution to this problem and problem #2 of being able to cut and past a photo on line. Which can’t be done easily if at all on a Samsung.  My next purchase will be an IPhone.

userSdREhXRT9B
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have noticed this on my S7 where I close all my apps as I normally do at night and sometimes during the day. Then a short time later multiple apps are back up. Mostly ones I have used recently but sometimes apps that I have not used in a long time. All apps are up to date and I use Nova as my launcher. I am going to clear my system cache but hard resetting my phone is not going to happen, to much to setup again.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey folks, I realize you may not have this exact model of phone, but there are some solutions over here on THIS thread!