JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How can I automate Data Off/On?

(Topic created: 04-03-2019 07:54 PM)
mikecox39
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I am trying to automate switching Data on and off so that when I arrive home it turns on and when I leave home it turns off.   But the Data option seems to be missing to the automating systems I've tried.

Does the phone need to be Rooted to automate Data switching?

Michael

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Leinz
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

3rd party automation apps will likely require root to toggle network states, due to API changes compared to earlier versions of Android. Bixby routines needs no such thing. To access Routines search for it in Settings app. 

Side note. Rooting will raise the Knox counter and void your warranty. It is best to stick with official software, because Samsung is not liable for system modifications made by the user. 

If this feature is important to you, send a request for it via feedback in Samsung Members app.

(Members -> Get Help -> Contact us)

If my reply has aided your issue please consider liking it. If the problem is solved you may pick it as a solution.

View solution in context

4 Replies
Solution
Leinz
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

3rd party automation apps will likely require root to toggle network states, due to API changes compared to earlier versions of Android. Bixby routines needs no such thing. To access Routines search for it in Settings app. 

Side note. Rooting will raise the Knox counter and void your warranty. It is best to stick with official software, because Samsung is not liable for system modifications made by the user. 

If this feature is important to you, send a request for it via feedback in Samsung Members app.

(Members -> Get Help -> Contact us)

If my reply has aided your issue please consider liking it. If the problem is solved you may pick it as a solution.
mikecox39
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I agree, re Rooting.  It's not something I've ever considered doing.

This feature is less important than it used to be, with "unlimited data" but I still like it off when I am home.

I will check out the option on Bixby, that I am beginning to like more and more.

Thanks for the path to Contact us.

Michael
0 Likes
Leinz
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

No problem!

You'll need to create a custom task. Afterwards you can do the data toggle by time or location, like shown here. The phone will require an actual address to do location tasks.

You can automate a lot of things, like airplane mode at night or lower audio when headphones are plugged in. Screenshot_20190404-182217_Bixby Routines.jpg

mikecox39
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thanks for the f/u. 

I used to be a Bixby hater but I've come around, it's pretty impressive actually.

Michael
0 Likes