cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userqHrODA1ZDD
Constellation

Battery Drain after latest Android update on S5

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have been noticing my battery draining at a ridiculously fast pace ever since the new update.  I have spoken with other S5 owners that are experiencing the same issue.  I find myself having to recharge my phone half way through the day when the battery lasted the entire day before the update.  Is anyone else experiencing this? I feel like if I am being forced to upgrade my phone when it still works perfectly fine.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: Battery Drain after latest Android update on S5

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If you haven't wiped your cache partition recently, go ahead and do this first. This is going to clear any residual data saved from your phone after each of these updates. For an easy to follow guide, check out this thread here - How To: Clear the Cache Partition

Make sure to fully restart your device after this, as well as monitor your battery usage from your Settings menu. Feel free to update me with any changes or findings.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

47 REPLIES 47
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If you haven't wiped your cache partition recently, go ahead and do this first. This is going to clear any residual data saved from your phone after each of these updates. For an easy to follow guide, check out this thread here - How To: Clear the Cache Partition

Make sure to fully restart your device after this, as well as monitor your battery usage from your Settings menu. Feel free to update me with any changes or findings.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

userpQKLYZcQYI
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Why cant I see - Accept as solution
userpQKLYZcQYI
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Why cant I see -Accept as Solution?

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userpQKLYZcQYI

You can't see the Accepted Solution button because it was already selected for a post on this thread.  Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

user7SEEatltHC
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

no

user5mnLziELS9
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm in the same boat with my s5. Battery just drains 2% every couple minutes.  I did the cache instructions but no real difference after a few reboots.  I took out the battery and inspected but all is fine. I am going to try getting a new battery so I can keep the phone as the new ones don't have any additional features I need. I will keep watching this thread though to see if there is a real answer to the excessive drain. While typing this my battery went from 91% to 88%.

Highlighted
uservQHI8W5GDe
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

As some people have noticed (as have I) clearing the cache partition is ineffective. Part of the problem with battery life is the bloatware running in the background, which gets added with each OS update. This is why so many people take the risk of rooting their phones, in order to streamline what's on board. Also, given Apple's revelation/admission of slowing down the iPhone to "conserve battery life" it would not be a surprise that OS tools are added to Android to use battery needlessly in order to spur customers to upgrade. The sales incentive is obvious.

userb59PJaewhZ
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My battery has never lasted the full day. I have to charge it twice within 24 hours. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7. I don't understand why the battery doesn't last longer. I do not stream, I do not play games. I only read the news from CNN and look at emails. As a senior I don't do much. I am really disappointed in the battery life.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did you give a wipe to your cache partition as well from the instructions I posted in my previous post? Also, if you go to your Settings, and scroll down to Battery and tap it to open the menu, are you able to see your usage? This will let you know exactly what's using the most battery on your phone to give you an idea if it's anything you can keep closed or not.