JUMP TO SOLUTION

There is some tips that could save the battery life for your reference:
1) Use Low Power Mode
2) Restrict Unimportant Notifications
3) Turn off Wi-fi if You Don't Need It
4) Do not Activate Location Service
5) Lower Screen Brightness
6) Limit Background Refresh for Applications
7) Tighten Up Auto-Lock the shortest period for your device, namely 30 seconds.

user0nOYWtXRCC
Astronaut

Re: Battery Drain after latest Android update on S5

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had same battery drain problem on two phones: J5 and S6. Both at the same time and for a week. I tryed averything anybody on the internet has suggested. For a week I was just reading forums about this issue. My battery was drained at the rate of 10+% per hour. Two apps that used the most battery power (each 40+%) were messages (Android) and cell service.

At the end I deleted Google (Android) messages app and setup Samsung messages app as default. Now my battery lasts again longer than 2-3 days without a charge on light use. My guss for reason why this was happening is that Verizon switched to VoLTE and messages app could not figure that out and kept looking for message in the old location running radio all the time? Just my guess.

userIPOsEWD8tD
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My AT&T S5 has been having issues with battery life. I replaced the battery a few months ago and the life improved. However, it seems to be draining faster and faster. But today it was ridiculous. Here is what the battery apps showed after I connected the charger and powered up after the phone shut itself off. 

- the phone was only a couple % charged once I got into the battery app

- Usage since last fully charged: 22 minutes, 13 seconds

- Screen 1% (that was the only item listed regarding battery usage)

- (tapped on Screen) Use details (for Screen), Time on: 9 minutes, 33 seconds

Thus, using my screen for almost 10 minutes supposedly caused the battery to drain down to nothing. I doubt that is the case but no other app/process was listed.

What was I doing when this happened? Reading an article on a Web page. 

userEiUqMYrsmP
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Extend battery life: TURN OFF MOBILE DATA until you specifically need it. (ie no available wifi)  If you're connected with wifi you don't need mobile data active. Battery life went from 8 hours to 36 hours without needing a charge! I'm happy with my phone again. I tried many of the suggested tech work arounds you'll find on the internet, nothing worked. Good Luck!

user6OPspptbdY
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

i DON'T EVEN HAVE CELLULAR DATA AND I GET ABOUT ONE HOUR!!!

user6OPspptbdY
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The way to FIX the Pie mess is to roll back the update, which 'honored' Samsung (does saying you're 'honored' mean we're supposed to trust what you say?) says is impossiple (what can be done in software can be undone; they are just unwilling to do it.) DON'T FIX WHAT AIN'T BROKE! Samsung allowed Google to create this mess, then rolled it out without testing it first. Turns out PIE was created for the  S10, and is INCOMPATIBLE with the S8 and S9. Samsung knows this (in fact, a Samsung Tech guy not only told me this, but he admitted that when he got the update, he couldn't make phone calls!!!). They claim 'reflashing' (for FREE, ain't they kind!) will fix the battery drain issues, but what will fix the aestheic nightmare that they created? The menus and icons look like they were done in finger paints for 3-year-olds. This is a royal mess for which there are no polite words. Just think of all the loudly screamed expletives that I will delete here and then think of my anger being even louder! 

user3CNIl7FIBP
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was perfectly happy with my 3-year old Samsung Core Prime. Suddenly it performed a system update, which it never did before, claiming strengthening of security and resolving bugs - fine.
BUT, the result is a much quicker battery drainage (about 10% per 0.5h vs 1.5h before, using the same battery saving modes), AND the annoying bug (I became used to): “Currently unable to download, please try later” was NOT resolved!

Is that a sustainable business model? It appears that customers are pushed to buy a new mobile after about 3 years (or less) although all use and apps are working fine. During a lifetime, customers could have maybe 3 mobiles vs. 10 - creating one third of polluting garbage in the end!
But if monetary profit is priority then scamming the customers will of course increase it.

I'm done with Samsung, even though this may be an ubiquitous business model. I try to be a responsible citizen.

user0EQrb3ulhO
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was hunting this problem for a very long time and after all I have found that if I kill/downgrade google play services my battery life goes back to about 5 days from 1. with original version on 900M networks only and UPS mode it was 9 days, but this is acceptable.