cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user7mdTl87ua1
Astronaut

Re: Battery Drain after latest Android update on S5

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Why do I need to do a wipe. I don't know how and don't really want to. Why can you not just do the update and leave everything on the phone as set up by the person that gas paid good money for it. So where do I take my phone to fix the battery usage same day as I stand there.

usercQ68e25CB1
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This is an absolute disgrace Samsung!!! I have been a long time loyal customer and have bought numerous Samsung mobile's for my business over the years. That stops now!!!

My last batch of business phones (Galaxy S6's) were working absolutely fine up until recently. The battery would last well over 24 hrs in standby mode. Then they all received a forced software update. Now it can't get through the day in standby mode (not even using the device). If I'm using the device for the pupose in which it was designed, to talk and msg etc., I would be lucky to get 3 hrs battery life. This is obviously not the device performance that was advertised,  and I initially bought into.

I have tried all the suggestions in the above forum posts and all have been to no avail.

This seems to be a deliberate ploy by Samsung to force it's consumer's to regularly upgrade to their latest phone models. Well I can tell you this business strategy is going to backfire. Numerous people I have spoken to have experienced the same problem with their Samsung mobiles and they have all had enough and are taking their hard earned money elsewhere. Personally, I currently have 20 Samsung phones in operation in my business. Not for very much longer, Samsung you have lost yet another customer because of your greed and deception. Despite always being anti Apple I have now been forced to head down that path, or possibly explore the new Google handset.

For the sake of the company's share holders I hope you wake up soon!!!

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Greetings to our most recent posters on this thread.

Might I ask what troubleshooting you've done? Sometimes older phones just need a wipe down so they can start with a fresh face and that will fix battery drain problems too. Just let me know what you've tried!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

useruZDTbnUOD7
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well, it's like this.  The phone was working great.  Samsung decided to upgrade the OS.  Now, those of that have older Samsung phones (I have the S5) have the battery draining faster, a lot faster than it use to.  As a Samsung "advisor" you're probably told that you need to have the user troubleshoot each problem from the start.  This is not the case.  The phones were working fine prior to the update, so obviously the problem stems from the update.  May I suggest you start with coding that changed something for the newer phones, but that has had detrimental effect on the older phones batteries.  So, are you saying nothing in the last OS update could have an effect on the battery.  I think if you look hard enough you'll find something that has changed or increased the battery consumption in the older phones. It's always seems to be the customer that has to struggle to get the manufacturer to fix the problem.  After all, there was no problem before the update.

userUB3ZrHM2KN
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am a Note 5 user.

About last 2 weeks ago I updated the software and the battery will not be able to charge more than 78%. I thought something wrong with the update version. This morning there was software update notification so I did update again. After that, my battery stay not more that 62% even being charged for long time.

Seem we all come to the conclution that the problem is coming from the software update

The next question, will Samsung be responsible on this ?

useriBYvWCY1zw
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm not one of the original posters.  I don't think I've recently done an Android update, but all of the sudden, my battering is draining at warp speed.  I've wiped the cash partition and have transferred some files to my PC so that I can do a factory reset if necessary.

What seems odd to me is that the biggest battery hog has been Samsung Music.  I'm not even aware that I've used this app, but perhaps it's involved in any audio application.  Even in that case, I haven't been a recent heavy user of audio apps.  Is there something short of a factory reset that I should try?

userYraUQBgVoi
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When I first got my Samsung S5 with AT&T, i got approximately 4 days of battery life.  After an update (long time ago), the battery life suddely dropped to 2 days.  After another update recently, battery life dropped to less than one day.  The phone has been wiped clean twice (for unrelated reasons, both in the 2 day battery life region, one a while ago, and one recently, no change to battery life).  I've wiped the cache, and power down the phone.  (I power down the phone nightly.)  I've turned off "Nearby device scanning" and "Enhanced LTE Services".  When looking a the battery app, the change I recall from before is now "Android System" is taking about 20%, versus the ~7% during the 2 day battery life period.  The second highest is "Exchange Services" at 10% (it used to be higher, but is a smaller number now presumably because of the shorter battery life -- I don't think the drain directly due to exchange changed.)  I have very few apps installed, I've run the Lookout virus scanner in an attempt to find something evil, and deleted less used apps.  I don't use the phone much, just quick check of corporate e-mail in off hours.  Probably unreleated, but there is an issue between the Exchange Services and android system webviewer that is resolved by rolling it back to the factor installed version.

Ellwood
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

....... you are not alone in your frustration userQ68e25CB1. My wife & I have been buying 'all things Samsung' for some years .....that all stops now for the reasons that you state. I also believe, as you do, that this situation is a deliberately created ploy to coerce customers to upgrade.

userMyuwNWnDjz
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I thought the same thing at one time, that this was a ploy...BUT... i have been a samsung user for almost 10 years now and i have only had 2 phones. whenever i have a problem with it, i have been able to find sites like these and find a resolution for the issue and yes, battery life has been one of those issues. I am looking for the post i found the last time i had this battery issue because it is doing it again after the recent update. It did not envolve clearing the cache though. What it did envolve made me think 'how is this going to work?' But it did work for both mine and my wifes phones and the 2 other samsung tablets we have. It had something to do with changing the date and time to manual. Closing all open apps, rebooting the device and then changing the date and time back to auto. Something to do with the syncing of the phone and it getting thrown off when during the update. Ill post the actual directions here when i find it. 

userMyuwNWnDjz
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So..i have not been able to find the post again but here is what i did. First i looked at how much time remaining i had on my current battery charge. Currently 66% and it said 6:08 hours until 0%. I set my date and time setting to manual, changed the date to some random day. As soon as i did this, i started to recieve notifications from some of my apps. (almost like they couldn't be sent before and came all at once). I then closed all my apps and restarted the phone. Once it booted back up, i went back in and changed the date and time back to auto and now with 61% battery remaining it says i have 7:26 remaining on my battery life. Lets see if it fixed the draining fast issue!