cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userzXsNh3r8DR
Astronaut

Re: Battery Drain after latest Android update on S5

JUMP TO SOLUTION
nice job. I switched from the iPhone for this very reason now I have it here on Samsung. Ugh.
userHsfswQs3hL
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I wouldn't have believed this but in desperation I tried it and it worked. Unbelievable!! I tried all the other recommendations like new battery, deleting recent apps, turning off auto- updates etc etc and this was so simple and it worked. Thanks you for your post.

....  doesn't appear to be linked to previous solutiony so here it is for easy reference...

So..i have not been able to find the post again but here is what i did. First i looked at how much time remaining i had on my current battery charge. Currently 66% and it said 6:08 hours until 0%. I set my date and time setting to manual, changed the date to some random day. As soon as i did this, i started to recieve notifications from some of my apps. (almost like they couldn't be sent before and came all at once). I then closed all my apps and restarted the phone. Once it booted back up, i went back in and changed the date and time back to auto and now with 61% battery remaining it says i have 7:26 remaining on my battery life. Lets see if it fixed the draining fast issue

useramrSAppXRR
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just updated my phone and same thing the other users are describing... suddenly my battery drains so fast that my phone has become essentially useless! This was a very sudden transition, from a working battery that lasted over a day to a battery that now lasts less than 4 hours, even when I'm only lightly using the phone. I tried both "fixes" listed on this forum--changing the time to manual and back, and clearing the cache partition. Neither helped! This seems like a scam, Samsung, please advise or I'll be switching my business to another more honest company.

userz0lQgswPo4
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did you change the time to manual and then do a restart before switching it back?

userz0lQgswPo4
Astronaut

Re: Battery Drain after latest Android update on S5 - Turning off the auto date worked for me!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The battery on my at least two year old S5 suddenly began draining within a few hours and I had tried the "clear the cache partition" several times with little or no improvement.  I noticed your post about turning off the auto date and time.  I did that and also turned off the auto time zone and then did a restart, turning them back on afterward.  I am thrilled to say that the battery is now almost like new.  Have gone the whole day today and battery is still at 67%.

Thanks very much for sharing your experience.

userBPEsJarZLO
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I appreciate reading your post, but I don't want others to get the wrong idea from your post/thoughts on the matter.  I have only owned Samsung phones too, but it is not Samsung pushing these updates that mess up the phones. It is your carrier. Samsung only deals with the phones.  The cellular carrier controls the network and the software that make these phones work.  

I KNOW FOR A fact that the cellular companies push software that make older devices obsolete.  Now I don't know why they do it, even though it is kind of obvious, but the software can make batteries drain slow OR FAST, VERY FAST. Samsung makes high-quality phones. They WANT consumers to buy their phones!!! So they won't make anything bad, bc they want to continue making money. The cell companies make money from selling the phones. If Samsung made bad phones,  cell companies would not make money from that. Now, cell companies want to sell more phones, they control the software, and 1+1=2.

userq7oytWpS0F
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

its very frusterating, i just bought this phone because i cant afford the new $800.00 phones. if id have known this was going to be an issue i NEVER would have bought it.. ive done everything in this forum. even the exchange  and web viewer bit.. and it all helped some but not enough and its not going to cut it.  i wont buy another samsung. you say its the cell provider but it still appears to be a samsung issue in my book. samsung never again.

user4QJ4m9Olhu
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a Samsung Galaxy s5 and my battery began draining ridiculously fast after, I believe, doing an update.  While I did purchase this phone from Verizon, I do not have any paid plan on this phone.  I only use it as a camera and for internet using free WiFi services.  I did the "clear the cache partition" suggestion and that didn't help the battery life.  So, if I do not have paid plan on this phone, where are the updates coming from....still Verizon??  That doesn't seem to make much sense.

userDJvqBclV0G
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have done the cache wipe and am still have the battery drain problem.  When I go to battery usage Android OS is using the most battery power.  Is there anything else I can do to try to resolve this issue?

usernMhxqPceYV
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Myself and my sister in law both are having the same problem and we have the same phone.