JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Black Bar at the bottom of Galaxy s7 Screen

(Topic created on: 12/6/20 4:50 PM)
userI3tuJ3gct2
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

It started with annoying flickering on the bottom of the screen (about 1 cm) then just became dark. Even with attempts to fix it, it's still there (Safe mode, restart, etc). It's not app related. Now the whole screen is starting to flicker. Any solution? (could it have been the update?)The flickersThe flickersBlack barBlack bar

16 Replies
userTs1g5ig2gX
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have the same problem, S7 flat from T-Mobile. It happened a couple weeks ago. This was absolutely NOT associated with any app installs or settings changes. I use my phone a lot and was in the middle of a long text conversation when the bottom 1/5th of the screen (exactly 1/5th!) started flickering fast, then slower, slower, then black. Dead. Nothing happened to prompt this. No drops, I keep my brightness very low, phone is in a double layer case, never wet, etc.

I contacted Samsung and their response was 'screen is damage, take phone to SS to repair'. Not very confidence inspiring. I'm not paying to replace the screen when it isn't damaged. Not to mention, I don't feel I should be financially liable for component failure due to poor engineering, or because they intentionally chose cheap components that fail sooner than they should.

Interesting information: I've searched the web and found many people with this same issue with S7s, S8s, S9s, Notes, etc. Sometimes they fail vertically on one half the screen, sometimes horizontally. I came across one youtube video for a cell phone repair shop where they fixed an S7 Flat with a display problem: the screen was 'split' vertically up the middle with the left side looking fine, and the right side a sort of white static. The fix? It wasn't to replace the screen, or the logic board. Another shop had replaced the screen twice and then sent it on to this tech. The technician traced the problem to the BGA chip that controls the display. As it turns out, it is one of those chips with a bunch of solder balls under it, and due to bad assembly and/or materials, some of the solder balls lost connection. The tech removed the chip, put new solder balls on it, re-attached the chip, and that was it. Screen fixed. (this will sound somewhat familiar to anyone who had an early xbox 360 that had the red ring of death: the problem was the same. BGA solder balls that failed due to poor construction.) This is 100% NOT a problem that occurs due to any kind of misuse, from drops, apps, settings, or anything you can do to your phone short of hitting it with a sledge hammer. These problems are exclusively manufacturers defects.

I am waiting for a reply from this particular repair shop about our specific problem. I'm assuming it is the same solution but I want to be sure. I'll post a new reply when I find out for sure what the fix is, and whether it is something Samsung should be repair/replacing out of warranty for free, or if I am mistaken. I'm hoping for the former.

userOe7VJGzDK1
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I think that it does have to do with temperature and you are spot on. This first appeared when I was working outside with my phone in near-freezing weather for a few hours. It hasn't gone away since then but lessens when the phone is warm. I figure at standard rates at a repair shop it would probably take about an hour to fix which makes it about 60 to $100. Still cheaper than a new phone.

0 Likes
Solution
SamsungQue
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

If you are still needing assistance you can call in at 1-800-Samsung or take your phone to the nearest Samsung service center. You can use this link to find one close to you. (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location)

View solution in context

0 Likes
SamsungJace
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S Phones

An Accepted Solution has been marked, and provided for this thread. The thread will now be locked for further replies. in hopes to keep the integrity of the thread from steering in a non-technical manner. We understand the solution marked may not be a solution for everyone, If you have a separate concern or question, feel free to Private message a moderator or post a new thread with additional details. Please note duplicate posts on similar subjects starting 2/1/21, will be removed in order to keep our community organized and make it easier for our users to find needed content. Remember that if you do make a new post, please include as many details about your symptoms as possible. Also, make sure that your title is a good summary of the overall situation that's occurring. Thank you for being part of the community!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userpF4XRVMKSn
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have the black bar too. I went to US Cellular to get help, and when I took the phone out of my pocket the bar was gone.....I explained that the screen had been flickering onthe bottom, became gray, and then black to the representative. I was ecstatic that the black bar was gone, but asked about repairing it if it happened again. They were only interested in selling me a new phone. I left the store and within a half hour the bar was back. I remembered someone posting that a blowdryer helped them.  Thinking that maybe the cold had something to do with it , I put the phone under my leg with the seat heater turned up. The bar went away.  So how do I proceed from here?  I did not add any new apps. It seems to be a bad connection that is corrected by heating it up

userPiVXSiq1Og
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey there, i had the same problem with my Samsung S7 i used a hairdryer to warmth it up make sure to not overheat it just from a so far distance and it's gonna work maybe it's just a low temperature issue.

Sincerely 

Ayoub. 

userg7uVi25m5B
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

After reading the replies of the 3 users before me (from 12/06/2020 -1/15/2020, users- Ts1g5ig2gX, pF4RVMKSn, PiVXSiq10g) heating up the phone is a temporary solution.  For me, using body heat/friction stopped the screen flickering in the middle area but the black bar on the bottom remained. Using a hair dryer allowed it to heat up warmer and stopped the flickering AND removed the black bar. If I kept the screen on/active, the flickering and bar remained gone. Once you let the screen turn off AND cool down, the flickering and black bar come back. 

It looks like the heat expands some chip soldering/connections inside enough for contact but, once it cools, it contracts and back to the blackout and flickering. It's got to be a manufacturing defect but, I doubt Samsung will own up to this for a recall or repair/replace or upgrade credit.  Could pay the warranty deductible but, the replacement phones probably aren't repaired for this issue and down the road, same issue again.  Upgrading is just not affordable for me right now. 

GREAT, As I'm typing this, the flickering is coming back..... :(.