cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimInVirginia
Asteroid

Black spots in camera

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have recently noticed 2 black spots appearing in pictures and video.  They are visible before the pictures or video are shot. This is with the rear camera.  I have included a picture of the issue, with the spots circled in red.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: Black spots in camera

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hmm, so it appears to possibly a bit of a hardware glitch. I've seen some people say if they 'thump' the back of their phone it clears those smudgey spots up. Otherwise the device would likely need to be sent in for a repair.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @TimInVirginia

Do you recall when you started noticing those? Might I also ask for the exact model number and Baseband version (both under Settings>About Device) for your device as well as your carrier and if you've tried any troubleshooting to fix them?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

TimInVirginia
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The model number shown in settings is SM-G920V.  The baseband version is G920VVRS4DQE1.  I have attached a screen shot of it.  I noticed that the problem started about 2 months ago.  I though possibly that it was just smudges or perhaps dirt on the outside of the lens, so I used a microfiber cleaning cloth and cleaned it thoroughly.  

This had no effect.  I am now wondering if these are some sort of burn-in from a bright light.

Thank you.

Thank you for your help.

Tim
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hmm, so it appears to possibly a bit of a hardware glitch. I've seen some people say if they 'thump' the back of their phone it clears those smudgey spots up. Otherwise the device would likely need to be sent in for a repair.

View solution in original post

TimInVirginia
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you.  I believe I have the tools required, plus a replacement rear camera so I plan to attempt the fix myself.

userEWl7MmBNGB
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@TimInVirginia  what did you have to do or order to replace the camera? I have the same issue with my phone. But I'd like to replace it myself just dont know if I just need the lens or a whole new camera and looking on Amazon.

Highlighted
userBdJ0VfPwmv
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Due to motor skill challenges I've dropped my WB350F several times.  Up until recently I've been very lucky and saved both by spirits and excellent engineering on the part of Samsung. ]

During the last few weeks the camera settings started jumping around.  Like bouncing out of the "Aperature Priority" mode back to the screen where you select between Aperature, Shutter, or Manual.  I though that I'd damaged the selection knob )-:

The next drop created a black spot on the LCD screen.  I assumed that it was a damaged section of the sensor so I composed each picture to avoid that spot. 

After reading this fantastic solution I gently bumped the camera against my wooden bed frame.  Wow!  The black spot of death is gone.  It also seems to have fixed the glitchy-ness in ASM modes. 

Thank you profusely.