cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Camera Failed S7 Edge

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I know that there are other posts of a similar nature, but I have not noticed a solution in them.  I went a bit further and still no solution.  If there are any new ideas or information it would be helpful.

The "Camera failed" issue:  I too am experiencing it and it started around Feb 3rd, 2020.  We don't remember any specific events preceeding it.

Phone Info:  Model: SM-G935A;

Things I've tried:

-- Camera force stop and clear data / clear cache - did not work

-- Restart - did not work

-- Wipe Cache partition from Android Recovery menu - did not work

-- Tried in Safe Mode - did not work

-- Wipe data/factory reset from Android Recovery menu - did not work

-- Disconnect battery;  when reconnected the camera worked for a short time, but then back to "Camera failed" mode.

-- Replaced Rear and Front cameras (which required disconnecting battery - after which it worked for a short time, then back to "failed" mode.)

--Wipe data/factory reset from Android Recovery menu again - did not work

-- Thought about changing to a previous OS/firmware version, but I understand that the phone won't allow that (correct me if I'm wrong).

I understand from the posts that it happens on S8's and S10's, so it's unlikely that I will try to upgrade to another Galaxy phone unless there is a solution for this.

Nothing works to maintain consistent operation.

What I have learned from the above is:

1. It is NOT the camera hardware.
  2. It is NOT any applications I have added (since it doesn't work after factory reset).

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Camera Failed

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For what it's worth, my camera is working now (knock on wood).  The steps were as follows:

1. Disconnected battery for about 30 sec and reconnected it.  Camera still did NOT work.

2. Disconnect battery for about an hour.  Came back and Camera DID work.

3. Started to screw in some screws for the inner rear covers.  After a few screws the Camera did NOT work.  Removed one screw and the Camera worked again.  Must be a bad connection somewhere close to that screw. 

4. Left out that screw and finished putting it back together.  Camera still working.

5. Loaded a Flashlight app.  Camera did NOT work.

6. Uninstalled the Flashlight app.  Camera DOES work.

7. Installing other apps one by one and now about two days later, camera still working.

So there is a combination of things.  Definitely some apps don't play well with the Camera.  AND there are some hardware defects which develop over time.  Doesn't speak well for Samsung workmanship.  Have to think carefully about the next phone.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@user4tagEcDgrn To resolve your issue you will need to get your phone service. You can take it to a local service center. You can use this link here to find the one closest to you.    http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for replying, but this is an inappropriate response.

Unless you can suggest a possible problem with my phone that can be addressed by something other than what I have listed above (did you even read it), why would I spend money at a repair shop.

Do you have any ideas about what could be wrong with my and many other peoples S7, S8, S10 phones' camera?

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had this issue happen to me but only when I tried to use certain modes like the Instagram and Pro. I went to the camera app settings and remove it's permission to overlay over other apps and also removed all it's permissions, and at last forced stopped it. Gave it some time, launched the camera app again and it all worked fined. If that does not work am afraid you might have to take it somewhere for it to be fixed😕

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you that is very helpful.

In my case, the camera failed message is consistent.  Also in my case, the phone is in a state immediately after factory reset with no added apps.  It's been force stopped, caches have been wiped etc.  The camera hardware has even been replaced (as noted above).  The cameras worked, for a short time after the battery is disconnected and reconnected, so the hardware works.  All other functions of the phone work.  Has anyone with this problem broght their phone to a repairer and gotten it back fully working?  If so, what was the problem?

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For what it's worth, my camera is working now (knock on wood).  The steps were as follows:

1. Disconnected battery for about 30 sec and reconnected it.  Camera still did NOT work.

2. Disconnect battery for about an hour.  Came back and Camera DID work.

3. Started to screw in some screws for the inner rear covers.  After a few screws the Camera did NOT work.  Removed one screw and the Camera worked again.  Must be a bad connection somewhere close to that screw. 

4. Left out that screw and finished putting it back together.  Camera still working.

5. Loaded a Flashlight app.  Camera did NOT work.

6. Uninstalled the Flashlight app.  Camera DOES work.

7. Installing other apps one by one and now about two days later, camera still working.

So there is a combination of things.  Definitely some apps don't play well with the Camera.  AND there are some hardware defects which develop over time.  Doesn't speak well for Samsung workmanship.  Have to think carefully about the next phone.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the exact same problem. And tried the same things but only replaced rear camera. I guess I will try and remove the 12 screws 1 at a time and hope to get lucky. Samsung needs some better solutions and/or customer service though.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Its the only solution is take it in so they can remove the bug they installed with the update

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Do you have the 'exact' problem.

Did you fully remove the back shield (all 12 screws) and disconnect the battery for about 30 min?  And after that, did the camera work?  If so, you might then replace the back shield installing one screw at a time and then checking if the camera is working after each screw inserted.  Good luck.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes,I do have the same exact problem. I have not opened the phone up again yet. I hope it works though. Thank you for the input.