Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bermudagirl
Cosmic Ray

Can no longer open front door with either Galaxy S5 or S7

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Our condo's are set up that when someone dials your number on the intercom, it rings your phone (whatever number you choose, landline, cell phone). You answer just like any other phone call, then press 9 on the key pad to unlatch the front door to let your guest in. This suddenly stopped working with my Galaxy S5 and I even talked to a TMobile tech who sent me instructions to do a reset (not sure I recall the correct term now) because he thought it might have had something to do with a software update that was only for certain Samsung phones in the 6 weeks prior to my issue. It didn't work. I upgraded to the S7, it worked opening the front door once. It no longer works. I can use my key pad for everything else but when it comes to answering that call and pressing 9, the 9 doesn't work. Oh, and I have troubleshooted with the company who installed the intercom boxes as well. We have taken my number out, put it back in. We have taken my number out and put in someone else's mobile phone number and it worked. None of the neighbors in my building are having any issues. Anyone else having this problem and how to correct it? Thanks.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bermudagirl
Cosmic Ray

Re: Can no longer open front door with either Galaxy S5 and S7

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Problem solved through TMobile community thread. Some others chimed in with same problem with different phones, not necessarily Samsung. Unchecking 4GLTE to just 4G or LTE/4G/3G to 3G/2G only resolves the issue. I just tried it and was able to let someone in.

The only issue now is why this is a problem. Carrier? Software incompatibility?

Thanks all, and hope this is helpful to someone else!

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm afraid I'm at a loss on this one. At first, I would immediately think it had something to do with the calling service that allows for this, since it just needs that phone press as a relay to send the signal to perform it's action. Have you received any other updates from them specifically about this? I can't think of anything on the phone's side that would prevent this from working, unless it required a special app or software. But it sounds like it does not, and just the key press to acknowledge the prompt for action.

It could very well be something conflicting with the service itself and the phone not getting along, but I would need more information specifically on the inner workings of how that company does their intercom boxes. Anyone else in your complex have the same device as you that are experiencing similar problems?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

bermudagirl
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the reply. I will have to get more information from the company and ask another neighbor. One neighbor does not have that issue, don't know if they have a Samsung phone. The other uses a landline. 2 of them don't even have their numbers in the intercom system. There is one other neighbor I would need to ask.

bermudagirl
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So far I have found out that 2 neighbors have I phones, one uses a landline, and the other 2 aren't even programmed into the intercom system. I have reached out to the management company again to get in touch with the company called Custom Access to find out more about their system in order for us all to work together on this. Thanks.

bermudagirl
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What happens is pressing my number in the system we've tried changing the number) calls my phone, which I am able to answer and communicate although another thing I have noticed is I can hardly hear the person (with the S5, don't know about the S7). Then I should be able to press 9 to let them in. When I press 9, nothing happens. The front door to the building does not unlatch. I hang up and go down to let them in. I can hear my number still dialing then a message "if you'd like to make a call, please hang up...". My phone has already hung up. I am opening the door to let the person in.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for that updated information. It really does sound like there's some sort of disconnect between the system and your device. Just not really sure myself where that would be arising from, the system directly or your phone. As I mentioned in most of those cases, pressing the number just sends a relay signal to the door system so that it knows you accepted the prompt. I wonder if perhaps it just isn't compatible, or perhaps it's tied to a different number they're not aware of.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

bermudagirl
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I know it's not tied to a different number. I do think it is their system and some sort of compatibility issue. This is 2 different Samsung phones. I'll let you know what I find out so that maybe this can help others.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you, I appreciate that. And thank you for your patience as well.

KSBV
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If this is still an issue, you may want to try changing the DTMF tone option to long. The normal duration may not be enough for your system to detect. To do this:

Open dialer

Select more

Select settings 

Select more settings

Scroll down for the DTMF option

bermudagirl
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You had me all the way to the last line...I don't have DTMF Option. I have:

Show my caller id

Call forwarding