cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Miasnip
Asteroid

Can't download phone software updates over mobile data.

Hi, I've switched from apple phone to this galaxy s9 plus and what I noticed, that my phone can't download it's software updates over the mobile data and it keep asking me to connect to a wifi network. I was surprised because my data package has lot of free GB remaining and in my apple phone I've always use those to download software updates. Wonder why Samsung has disable it. I just ask form my colleague who has note 9 phone and same thing happens in there too. Please Samsung, let's make your phones to download software updates over the mobile data. Hope to see a positive feedback.

16 REPLIES 16
user5hu4XX3T6F
Cosmic Ray

In settings there should be an option to enable update ov...

In settings there should be an option to enable update over network. I haven't looked lately but remember it being there. I'm also using the note 9.

Miasnip
Asteroid

No, I've actually looked there several times and ask this...

No, I've actually looked there several times and ask this from local Samsung repair agents. There's no option for download it via mobile data but it has an option to download it automatically when connected to a wifi network. No luck by far. Samsung has to do the changes.

user5hu4XX3T6F
Cosmic Ray

Settings>Lock screen and security>other Security settings...

Settings>Lock screen and security>other Security settings>security policy updates>download updates via.

user5hu4XX3T6F
Cosmic Ray

Sorry it's in biometrics and security.

Sorry it's in biometrics and security.

Miasnip
Asteroid

This is not about security updates! I think you have misu...

This is not about security updates! I think you have misunderstood what I'm asking for. Refer the screenshot. I means the phone entire software updates like we're getting over period of time. Currently I've experienced five or six updates during my use of this mobile and none of those have been able to download over mobile data. Very disappointed.

user5hu4XX3T6F
Cosmic Ray

Sounds like your Samsung techs don't know much about the...

Sounds like your Samsung techs don't know much about the software.

Miasnip
Asteroid

user5hu4XX3T6F
Cosmic Ray

This will do all software and security updates. Software...

This will do all software and security updates. Software updates always come with new security updates therefore it is only referred to as security updates in the device settings. It will work for what you want.

userq4FUkbUvEn
Constellation

Re: This will do all software and security updates. Software...

You don't know what your talking about please stop spreading misinformation. It is common FACT that Samsung doesn't allow Samsung OS software updates via mobile data and there is no setting or easy way around it, period. Security updates are a different thing entirely. OPs suggested feedback has nothing to do with security updates so your solution is erroneous and in fact will not affect the software updates when they're provided from SAMSUNG (if it's a software update provided from google play, it can indeed be downloaded via mobile data). Samsung will actually suggest you go to a carrier store or a coffee shop where there's wifi if you need to update but have no home wifi network.