JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Categories deleted in notification settings

(Topic created: 09-21-2020 10:14 AM)
sbunny87
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Categories deleted...at bottom of screenCategories deleted...at bottom of screenSo  this is under settings and notifications. Under each app there is randomly categories deleted showing at the bottom. I am unable to click on it to maybe pop something up or let me know what it means. So I would like to know what exactly this categories deleted means and how in the world can I tell which categories were deleted.

19 Replies
Solution
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This is a spam prevention feature, which introduced Notification Channels. They are a way for apps to group types of notifications into categories so that devs "can set the visual and auditory behavior that is applied to all notifications in that channel. Then, users can change these settings and decide which notification channels from your app should be intrusive or visible at all." Now it's a bit confusing but the term used for Channels in settings screens on Android is "Notification Category" (the term "Channel" is only used by devs in code)

So imagine if an app created a channel and you did not want to see notifications of that type, so you disabled notifications for that channel. Great. Now, the app wants to outsmart you so it just deletes that channel and creates a new one, and starts notifying you again using the new channel. You can see how this would be considered spamming, so Android "displays the number of deleted channels, as a spam prevention mechanism". I guess this is spam prevention in the sense that you can go see how many channels have been deleted and if it seems to be excessive, then you can uninstall the app or report it to Google as a spammy app.

So the "category deleted" is not something that you as a user deleted. It is something that the app itself has deleted, which would usually be done if the developers realized that they wanted to reorganize the categories in some update.

Different people may see different numbers of "categories deleted" (including none) for a given app because of the timing of when they first installed it. This "categories deleted" information is specific to your chronology with the app and persists on your device.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Darsee
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
wow, you are beyond great with your words and very descriptive and I appreciate your response. Thank you very much
usersttzpLecEx
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

but it wont send me my emergency alerts..its greyed out 

techrn
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
mine is grayed out as well
userwCnt438zKR
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

They don't want you to get the emergency broadcast alert so the last system update automatically turned the setting off or deleted it

Dena0110
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
same here
userzJRlasaB3V
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Thank you for the explanation in detail, obviously your IQ is in 140's. 😎🤙
littles484
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
And I settings under notifications it says 2 categories deleted. I want to know what the to R can they just got this phone. And when my text messages come in it just vibrates. And my sounds or all of it should be making noise in its nut
cwhynot
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
same thing here..now I can't get any sound for my text messages..