cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neutron Star

Re: Disable Burst Mode on S7 Edge

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Firebrand there is no such thing as enabling burst mode. 

Burst mode is always enabled. Although you have to turn on the camera app and long press the shutter to take burst photos. You are saying that all of this happens to you accidentally quite often? 

PS: Rotating the phone from landscape to portrait should not start taking pictures. 

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Superman is correct. If you rotate your device and it causes the camera to take a burst shot, there is some type of issue that we will need to delve into more. But if you rotate the device and accidentally hold down the shutter button, this will make the camera take burst shots. As for the device taking 100's of images, the burst shot only takes images as long as you hold down the shutter button. If your device is taking 100's of images, we will need to delve into that separate issue too. 

But with all of this said, if you are pressing and holding the shutter button, the phone will take burst images. The only way to prevent this is to use a 3rd party application. I am very sorry for any frustration this may cause.

If you would like to continue troubleshooting any of these issues, please provide the following information. 

• Is this issue repeatable or does it only happen every so often? 
  • The full model number and carrier of your device.(if you have not already provided this.)

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungDarius

Yet another change from Samsung that seems unnecessary and creates confusion and dissatisfied users. Burst mode used to have a setting to turn it on and off. Why remove this setting? Who benefits from removing it? This is another question for the product team. 

I can imagine a lot of people who would rest their finger a little longer on the shutter. They would be taking burst shot, not knowing what happened. 

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

russ57
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

i iagree...i have definitely had instances (eg,last night) when the camera seems to start burst by itself, 71 photos in one case, more in another - definetly didnt touch the shutter button. 

but i wonder....i just tried volume to zoom, and it started burst...no shutter button. maybe my ($$$) samsung clear view case (which turns off always on display, another major gripe) is pressing on the volume button causing this? 

update: the default setting was 'volume takes photo' - changed that to zoom...see if that will stop it happening...

russ

coolblueice
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Russ,

After intensive reading, I see that the volumn controls do indeed act as a shutter (by default). This was causing many of the burst mode sequences I was getting in horizontal mode, as the buttons are "a perfect allignment storm" with my left thumb when I hold the camera in my left hand (as I struggle to free my right hand for pressing the shutter button). Add to this, the fact that the flip cover I use hindges on the same side as the volumn control buttons doesn't help either. There's simply not enough "real estate" there to have the cover open and hold the camera in my left hand... and still avoid the volumn control buttons.

The default "Use the volumn control buttons as a shutter" setting can be changed, however.

1. While the camera app is running, tap the little "gear icon" on the top left to open the "settings"

2. Scroll down to the "Volume keys function". (You will see it's default is set to "Take pictures".)

3. Tap on that function to change the setting to "Zoom" instead. (I would avoid choosing "Record video", as taking unwanted video would be as unwelcome as taking a photo burst.) At least by selecting "Zoom" you won't be accidentally recording anything (at least not from the volume control keys).

After a lot of experimentation, I'm becoming convinced that accidentally pressing the shutter icon on the screen or the volume control buttons have been the root cause of my unwanted burst mode shots. By reconfiguring the volume control keys to "zoom" instead of "Take pictures", I have greatly reduced the instances of unwanted burst mode shots (especially in horizontal mode.)

The main problem is that the shutter button (and volume control keys) are just way to sensative. Any "misstep" in placing your fingers can result in unwanted burst shots. As many people have complained, Samsung needs to either allow users to turn off burst mode (as I believe was possible on early models, based on what I've read) or they should allow users to dial down the sensativity of these soft/hard buttons.

I'm not holding my breath, however, as their response continues to be "burst mode is a non-configurable option".... trying to convince us "it is a feature .... not a problem".... Ya.... right.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

=============

Update:

Oh sorry, Russ... At the time I replied to your post, I didn't see you had already done an update and had discovered the "reset volume control buttons to zoom" trick yourself. But I think that's OK, as our discussion might help out other frustraited users.

Thanks!

russ57
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
That's ok, I'm pretty confident now with your corroboration that is the problem and the solution. Of course, unwanted zoom may be just as annoying!
Now to solve the next 'feature', that the clear view screen turns off 'always on display' ...
cea583
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you so much. Changing the volume setting to zoom definitely helped. Today, out of the blue, I noticed I was taking 100 burst shots, but couldn't determine how it started. I just remembered I asked someone, not with our group, to take a photo of us and he said he hit something. At the time I didn't realize what it was. Now the mystery has been solved. Thank you again.

userpWJO5Ue2Zi
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I hate it! NOW I have to work out how to delete hundreds of photos to protect ONE? The screen is so sensitive that a military second on the shutter button and on landscape just bursts out 100! Stupid stupid formation design error ... like why 100 shoots! Whose such a nodded that they would want 100 bursts shots to thenot consider viewing then on screen and look for the best?! Please reprogram so we can disable it! 

userpWJO5Ue2Zi
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Auto correct! Nodded should read "Noddy" and "milliseconds" not "military. Though military is a good word to describe the burst functionality. Otherwise I lIke this phone though menu still a little too solid. Like why have a feature as in colour edge calling and not make it simple to apply to your contact list? Still looking as all the rave reviews are on style and visual impact as with the great screen, colour display. And it is! 

foreverfun82
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

On my S7, it will take a burst of 100 shots every time it focuses on an object close up and then it will start another burst of 100 and so on and so on  ..... endlessly until I exit the camera app.  All of this happens without touching the screen in any way other than opening the camera app itself.