cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userVa1vVHvjwS
Asteroid

Erratic Internet Connection on Cellular Data and WiFi

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Until I can get a Note 10 I am using my S7 Edge factory unlocked purchased from Samsung connected over AT&T.

Four or five times minimum each day I find that I cannot reach the internet. When I look at Settings it shows I'm connected to my home WiFi but browsers etc. don't work. I have a message from VPN that says "Waiting on Internet". The only thing that will resolve the problem is to reboot, which is, of course, getting to be an annoyance.

However, the problem does not seem to be confined to WiFi. (1) When it can't reach the internet at home it does not switch to cellular data to get to the internet. (2) When I am not near a WiFi network it will most of the time not let me get to the internet, though not always.

My wife's iPhone, my desktop PC, and my laptop PC do not have these problems -- given that and the problem with cellular data as well, I don't think it likely to be related to the home network.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userVa1vVHvjwS
Asteroid

Re: Erratic Internet Connection on Cellular Data and WiFi

JUMP TO SOLUTION

SOLUTION:

The following two steps resolved the problem.

• Reset the network as SamsungZell had suggested. This did not completely resolve the problem but did substantially decrease the frequency of the problem. I’d not done this before, but it was simple.

• Change VPN apps. As a test I switched from my current paid app to the free version of Windscribe. Since changing VPN apps just over a week ago, the problem has not recurred.

The free version of Windscribe was chosen only for inexpensive testing to see if changing apps would solve the problem. I expect it to be far too slow during peak periods to be usable for me. The paid version does away with the server limits that cause that, I understand, and so might be satisfactory. I will choose a new paid VPN app and move to it as soon as I can.

I will mark this reply as the answer for the benefit of someone who is looking. However, SamsungZell, your comments put me on the right path and you should get credit for the answer (assuming such applies in these forums) so if you’ll copy the solution in a reply I’ll change and mark your reply as the answer if the system will let me. As I've not posted before in the forum, apologies if I'm going about this in not quite the right way. I appreciate your help to resolve what has been a difficult problem for a long while.

11 REPLIES 11
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried resetting your network settings? Have you reached out to your carrier in regards to your Mobile data?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userVa1vVHvjwS
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have checked to be sure mobile data is on, though it would have to be since it does work occasionally. Beyond that, I don't see where to reset the network settings.

Your question did trigger a thought, however. I checked the SIM card status and it showed Mobile Network Disconnected. So I turned off WiFi and then checked it again and it showed Mobile Network Connected as I'd expected.  However a swipe down still gives me a VPN Message "Waiting for network" which is what I always get when it can't get to the network, whether via WiFi or Mobile. It simply hangs there. And, of course, I have no internet access. 

So I decided to turn VPN off. Although the "Waiting for network" message remained when I swiped down, the internet came back immediately. Hmmm. Seems to somehow be related to VPN. So, I'm wondering if I leave VPN off if the random disconnects will cease? Or at the very least I can get it going without rebooting perhaps. I think I'll try it. I did touch the gear icon beside the VPN message, however, and it told me VPN was on, even though I had clearly turned it off. So I went to the normal VPN setting which showed it off and turned it back on. The "Waiting for network" message went away and it connected without rebooting and I have internet access. So I turned WiFi back on and the internet access is still on for now, though I'm sure it will disconnect again. When it does, I'll see if this method works next time. If so, then I'll leave VPN off for a while and see if the random disconnects cease. I'm not sure exactly what this means except that the problem seems to point to VPN somehow. (I am using VPN Unlimited, which I've already planned to ditch, however.)

As to the carrier, I went to the AT&T store a few days ago intending to ask them about it. When I got there, in the parking lot, I turned WiFi off so that I could show them that I had no internet access over the cellular network -- except that on that instance I did! So there was really nothing to show them so I didn't go in.

FWIW the Android version is 8.0.0.

Thanks for triggering these thoughts. Any further suggestions or information are welcome. 

userVa1vVHvjwS
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just noticed, the initial message in this thread being my first post here, that I am now an astronaut with a peculiar code name. Perhaps I should notify NASA as they have apparently been forgetting to send me a paycheck! Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You are very welcome. I would suggest trying the toggling suggestion.

If the symptoms persist, you can always try to reset your network settings.

You can locate the troubleshooting steps for resetting your network using this article here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001605/#reset-the-phone-s-network-settings

Keep us posted.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userVa1vVHvjwS
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have had the VPN turned off for about a day now and have had no dropped internet whatsoever.  Clearly VPN is the problem (or least a problem).

I would think that the next step is to go ahead and do a network reset and then see if turning on VPN works at that point?

I know from a network reset I will have to set up WiFi networks again, and also set up again the bluetooth connections. Those should be no problems. Is there anything else about which I might need to think before doing it?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Nothing that I can think of right now, It will just reset the data for your Wifi network to be re-entered, Mobile network will be reset, and your Bluetooth connections would have to be repaired as you stated. 

I would give the mobile reset a try and if the symptom persists afterwards we can look into further recommendations, most likely to seek help directly from your carrier!

Welcome to the community btw, we look forward to assisting you with your troubleshooting concerns!

userVa1vVHvjwS
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Summary to date:

• Had WiFi off to force data to cellular network.
  • Turned VPN off. Internet came back on immediately.
  • Turned WiFi back on to see if VPN off fully resolved problem.
  • Went a day with no problems but also, of course, no VPN.

Since last post:

• Did Network reset. VPN still off. No problems occurred.
  • Turned VPN On to test if problem fully resolved.
  • Later in the day lost access again.
  • Turned off VPN. This time access did not come back immediately.
  • Turned WiFi on and and off and access returned.
  • Waiting to see if I lose access again, which I expect I will.

Not exactly what i expected. The problem does seem to point to the VPN but the fact it did not come back immediately when I last turned off the VPN seems to make that less than conclusive. Still, when I started, I had to reboot to get the network back, and now I am getting the network back without rebooting. It wouldn't surprise me to know that the network reset you suggested was responsible for that, though I can't say conclusively.

Pondering my next step. It appears that I could leave VPN off and be all right. However that's not a good long-term solution. Perhaps trying another VPN app is a good next step. Trying to think of other steps I might take.

userVa1vVHvjwS
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It occurs to me to mention that a week or a bit more ago my contacts were suddenly gone from my phone. I do not see any relationship to this problem, especially as this problem has been going on for months, so I mention it only in the unlikely event there is some link that I don't see.

Beyond that, I plan to pursue the missing contact issue shortly, but am thinking to do so in a different thread to keep this one clean and focused unless you suggest otherwise.

userVa1vVHvjwS
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

UPDATED SUMMARY:

Summary to date:

• Had WiFi off to force data to cellular network.
  • Turned VPN off. Internet came back on immediately.
  • Turned WiFi back on to see if VPN off fully resolved problem.
  • Went a day with no problems but also, of course, no VPN.
  • Did Network reset. VPN still off. No problems occurred.
  • Turned VPN On to test if problem fully resolved.
  • Later in the day lost access again.
  • Turned off VPN. This time access did not come back immediately.
  • Turned WiFi on and and off and access returned.
  • Waiting to see if I lose access again, which I expect I will.

Since last post...

• Lost internet access again.
  • Turned VPN off.
  • Internet access returned on Samsung browser and MS Solitaire, but not on Firefox.
  • Turned internet off and back on.
  • Internet access returned on Firefox.

As said earlier, pondering my next step. It appears that I could leave VPN off and be all right. However that's not a good long-term solution. Perhaps trying another VPN app is a good next step. Trying to think of other steps I might take.