cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oreoloveboss
Asteroid

Exynos S7 wifi constant usage from Android System and Google Account Manager

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, been tracking an issue where Wifi is constantly being used (arrows appearing), Wifi will stay on 24/7 even during doze and when Keep wifi on during sleep is set to "Never". Before this problem happened and I'd turn my screen on I would get the popup that it's connecting to Wifi, but that doesn't happen now because the Wifi radio is literally transmitting constantly. I've tracked it to the OS in general and a process UID that is Google Account Manager (part of Google Play Services). Ultimately this problem means poor battery life unless I manually shut wifi off.

I've done 2 factory resets and the second one restored from no backups, did not sign into a Google Account, turned off all location features, turned off Sync, all permissions for Google Play Services and tried to disable and force quit every app/process I could, but could not get these constant wifi transfers to stop.

They do not happen on mobile data, only wifi. It's sending 60-70kilobytes each time, and it happens approximately once every 10 seconds. I've seen other people having the exact same problem on Google Searches but no solutions, just figured I'd check before sending my phone away.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Oreoloveboss
Asteroid

Re: Exynos S7 wifi constant usage from Android System and Google Account Manager

JUMP TO SOLUTION

20 hours is terrible, and 2 hours screen on time is a joke.

How can you say the phone is running as expected if the feature "Keep wifi on duyring sleep" doesn't even work? because the wifi radio literally never stops transmitting. Not to mention I told you that the battery drains regardless of whether the screen is on or not. 20 hours with 2 of those actually having the screen on is not good by any standard, it wasn't 5 years ago and it certainly isn't today.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me but it appears you have no grasp on what the problem I'm actually experiencing is, and I don't know how to explain it any clearer, other than point out there are threads on these forums with dozens of pages of the same issue, and all over androidcentral, xda and reddit.

In any case I found out what the problem was due to the default weather app: https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS7/comments/63j29h/why_is_android_os_always_on_top_of_the_battery/dfu...

When you disable refreshing (even though it was set to every 6 hours), the phone can now go into deep sleep. My first charge after doing this I was able to get 36 hours battery life with 5h28 min of screen on time, which is what I expected and used to get before this problem started.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Supernova

Re: Exynos S7 wifi constant usage from Android System and Google Account Manager

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can I get your full model number, carrier & Baseband version? Once I have that information I can send up a detailed inquiry to our lab tech here and see what information I can provide for you. I'd rather be able to provide clarification on things before advising you send in your device to our technicians. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Oreoloveboss
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for your reply,

Model: SM-G930W8

Carrier: Virgin (Canada)

Baseband: G930W8VLS2BQF1

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Anytime! Thanks for sharing those details. I will have to let you know that since we're dedicated to providing support for devices here in the states, we may have limited support on your model. I will let you know that when your WiFi is turned on it is constantly refreshing and scouting your surrounding area for other available networks to connect to. Do you utilize the Smart Network Switch feature in your WiFi settings though? It's a feature on Android phones that allows your phone to automatically switch between WiFi and the mobile network. This allows the phone to maintain a high level of internet connectivity if your WiFi connection is inconsistent. That may help a bit. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Oreoloveboss
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have tried that feature but it is currently off. I'm experiencing this issue on my company's wifi as well at home where the signal strength is excellent.

It's also keeping the CPU active, I'm losing ~3% battery life per hour overnight with battery saving mode on Mid and "Android System" is the highest consumer of battery usage in the system battery settings, more than screen and more than phone radio or wifi active in battery in apps like GSAM. And like mention above I have "Keep wifi on during sleep" set to "Never". I've done the usual tricks with things like location and Sync, but like also mentioned on a brand new factory reset without restore, turning Sync as well as location completely off does not solve the problem.

I've seen many discussions about the issue on here (https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S-Phones/S7-battery-drain/td-p/773) but no resolutions.

Oreoloveboss
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

edit:duplicate

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just to make sure we're on the same page here. After that restore is rapid battery drain a problem with your phone? Or just how active your WiFi feature is? How long does your battery last with a full charge?

Oreoloveboss
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I did not do a restore, I did a factory reset without restoring, and the problem still exists, even with Sync and Location turned off. Battery life is average around 20 hours with 2h20m screen on time, but the battery drains regardless of how much I use the screen. (3% per hour drained when I am sleeping and the screen is off).

I assume the battery drain is because something is constantly accessing wifi, when I open a network monitor I can see that "Android System" and "Google Account Manager" are sending traffic every few seconds. The wifi does not shut off when I choose "Keep Wifi radio on during sleep: Never". "Android System" is also the number 1 consumer in battery usage. The arrows below wifi symbol in notification bar never stop blinking.

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

20 hours is a great battery life to be experiencing! That's awesome. Your assumptions are mostly correct. But it sounds like the phone is running as expected. Are you still looking to get technical assistance with it? If so, please let me know what you'd like. From what you're explaining here, your system performance and battery is working as intended. 

Oreoloveboss
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

20 hours is terrible, and 2 hours screen on time is a joke.

How can you say the phone is running as expected if the feature "Keep wifi on duyring sleep" doesn't even work? because the wifi radio literally never stops transmitting. Not to mention I told you that the battery drains regardless of whether the screen is on or not. 20 hours with 2 of those actually having the screen on is not good by any standard, it wasn't 5 years ago and it certainly isn't today.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me but it appears you have no grasp on what the problem I'm actually experiencing is, and I don't know how to explain it any clearer, other than point out there are threads on these forums with dozens of pages of the same issue, and all over androidcentral, xda and reddit.

In any case I found out what the problem was due to the default weather app: https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS7/comments/63j29h/why_is_android_os_always_on_top_of_the_battery/dfu...

When you disable refreshing (even though it was set to every 6 hours), the phone can now go into deep sleep. My first charge after doing this I was able to get 36 hours battery life with 5h28 min of screen on time, which is what I expected and used to get before this problem started.

View solution in original post