cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drominger
Asteroid

Forgot pattern to unlock phone, with new update can't turn phone off without the pattern.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So, how do I either get past the pattern or do a factor reset?

I've tried the Find My Mobile service and locked my phone with a pin.  After entering the pin, my phone goes right back to asking for the pattern.  No matter how many times I enter an incorrect pattern, I'm never given the option to enter a pin or use my fingerprint.

I resigned myself to a factory reset, but now, when I try to power off my phone, I'm prompted for the pattern!  What do I do now?!?!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
drominger
Asteroid

Re: Forgot pattern to unlock phone, with new update can't turn phone off without the pattern.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I used the Google Device Manager to perform a factory reset and I am now able to use my phone.  That didn't necessarily solve my initial problem, but it fixed my phone.

There needs to be a better way to unlock the phone when the pattern is forgotten.

15 REPLIES 15
Honored Contributor

Re: Forgot pattern to unlock phone, with new update can't turn phone off without the pattern.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @drominger

Just to verify, if you get into the device and then go to Settings>Backup and Reset>Factory Data Reset does it ask for that pattern there?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

drominger
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was never able to get into the phone directly.  I had to go through Google Device Manager.

userFCM5NFLCDB
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

lucky of you that you had an internet and you maneged to use the google manager; what about me who before I forgot the pin i had also closed my mobile data. So now I cant even use the google manager. I am really outrages why my phone cant verify using other methods. I bought a mobile and I cant operate it for one silly mistake. I had high hopes for android operated google mobiles. But they are no better than ios.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, @drominger. I just wanted to reach back out and see if you were able to get this fixed up! If not, please let the Community know so that they can look into different ideas to help further.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

drominger
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I used the Google Device Manager to perform a factory reset and I am now able to use my phone.  That didn't necessarily solve my initial problem, but it fixed my phone.

There needs to be a better way to unlock the phone when the pattern is forgotten.

usertURdL5h6vT
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Press and hold the volume down and power key and as soon as the screen turns black ,QUICKLY  press and hold the home, volume up, and power key button

Klvdp80
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This worked. Brought me to the boot menu where I could select to power off the device! Thanks

Jwilly405
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungViv

I know this was answered.  I just wanted to touch base with you.  The only way to "fix this up" is to perform a factory reset; at least according to the Sumsung Support Tech I spoke with on the phone.  She was all enthusiastic to help me, and said it wouldn't be a problem.  Until she asked what model I have, and her voice saddened when I said I had the Galaxy S7.  She said she was "sorry to tell me that there is no alternative unlock for the S7 model", and there was absolutely nothing she could do to help, and that the factory reset is the only way to get the phone to work again.  She did go on to brief me on all of the available backup methods available, between Google and Samsung Cloud, and she had hoped I had used one of those services to store my data, so it could be recovered/retrieved...  

userQI5ksHoWeb
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Its days something went wrong.  I have the phone in my hand and the new phone. I cant get into phone I cant remember pin code Samsung cant unlock my J7Auro