Original topic:

Fuel Shortage

(Topic created: 07-30-2021 12:27 PM)
EZRyden
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
When phone companies choose to pull back the throttle to govern the use of data, is this done at the towers with signal strength or is it done some other way? For example, I have unlimited data and keep getting notifications that I have or about to reach my data limit. A recognizable difference takes place as my phone slows to the pace of an earthworm.
 Where and how does this manipulation without affecting other users who barely use data . Is controlled at the towers with signal strength?

FYI, took me 30 minutes to manipulate my phone to send this post.

Sincerely,
Tod the Fruatrated..
4 Replies
Je655
Sun
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Basically your imsi (International Mobile Subscriber Identity) allows you to connect to a tower and tells your provider what towers your using and how much data you have used. Then they can set a speed limit on your line once your have crossed any limits using your imsi number as an identifier for your device.
0 Likes
EZRyden
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
So what keeps the unlimited from towering up and setting their limit at Warp ?
0 Likes
Je655
Sun
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Your imsi number is your login/username for the internet. Your provider controls the settings for that login (like setting an amount of data you can use before they slow it) if you read the terms and conditions of your plan it will list the amount of data available before they slow it.
0 Likes
Diaboyos
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S Phones
It's not done at the tower. The tower just sends and receives the signals. The limit placed onto your account is done elsewhere.
0 Likes