JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

GS9 Screen - Dark with green lines across top

(Topic created: 07-31-2021 06:21 AM)
userbYIUx8PXki
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have a samsung galaxy 9 (SM-G960U). Phone screen is now dark with green flickering lines across top of screen. Cannot use phone because screen does not work. Tried rebooting in safe mode and tried phone reset; still same issue.

Issue same as shown in this video: https://wwhttps://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS9/comments/ffegry/samsung_s9_screen_backoutflickering_issu... 

I've seen other comments from users saying to download a OLED screensaver but how can I do that if I cannot use the screen to do anything.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I am very sorry to hear of that line on the screen. I can understand the frustration and annoyance with it!

I have two articles that address issues that could be the cause and may help.

1. Pink lines or dead pixels on Galaxy phone or tablet's display This article contains steps for correcting pixel issues and includes steps such as testing the phone in Safe Mode to rule out 3rd-party app issues. 

2. Cracked or bleeding screen on Galaxy phone or tablet This article describes when there is actual damage to the screen and provides links for service options. In the U.S., you can also contact customer service at 1-800-726-7864 to create a service ticket for mail-in service. 

For service outside of the U.S., please use this link: https://www.samsung.com/us/common/visitlocationsite.html

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

8 Replies
fungurl2010
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Have you hit it let overheat really bad or is it an old phone
0 Likes
userbYIUx8PXki
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
No to overheating or hitting. Phone is 3yrs old.
Solution
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I am very sorry to hear of that line on the screen. I can understand the frustration and annoyance with it!

I have two articles that address issues that could be the cause and may help.

1. Pink lines or dead pixels on Galaxy phone or tablet's display This article contains steps for correcting pixel issues and includes steps such as testing the phone in Safe Mode to rule out 3rd-party app issues. 

2. Cracked or bleeding screen on Galaxy phone or tablet This article describes when there is actual damage to the screen and provides links for service options. In the U.S., you can also contact customer service at 1-800-726-7864 to create a service ticket for mail-in service. 

For service outside of the U.S., please use this link: https://www.samsung.com/us/common/visitlocationsite.html

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userbYIUx8PXki
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Took it to an authorized Samsung repair shop. Technician said he sees it regularly on Samsung phones, says iPhone and others very rarely have this issue. I guess Samsung products aren't built to last as well as other manufacturers are
fungurl2010
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
That is why it is an old phone
0 Likes
Members_cnq26HF
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have been having this problem on my S9+ since July 2021. I am convinced it's not a hardware problem but due to a software update because it suddenly started happening this summer and because there's a somewhat awkward workaround that works 100% of the time. (I just found this forum so I'm also going to try to post this workaround as a thread of its own!)

I've noticed there appear to be two "modes" in which the phone turns on its display --  I'll call them Mode A (the "regular" mode), and Mode B. Mode A is where the display glitch lies, but Mode B still works well. Mode B occurs when you come from the phone's "Always On Display." The "Always On Display" (which is a somewhat confusing name) is the state where your screen shows you a simple clock when your phone is at rest.

The default seems to be that "Always On Display" is triggered by tapping the screen when it's asleep. So when I did that first and then pushed the power button, the screen would go into Mode B and work perfectly, whereas if I just pushed the power button the screen would go into Mode A and be dark and/or green-tinged.

Fortunately, you can change the setting so that "Always On Display" is actually always on. To do that, go to Settings > Lock screen > Always On Display and make sure not only that it is set to "On" but that "Show always" is selected.

Now, as long as I turn on my phone from that simple clock screen*, the display will work perfectly. If I don't, (such as if my phone has been asleep and I get a phone call) I get the dark/greenish screen.

*There is a caveat: Like I said, there appear to be two display "modes" on the S9+. Sometimes that simple clock screen appears a little strangely tinted, which indicates to me it's in Mode A. If I wait a few seconds I can actually see the clock colors change a little, and then I can press the power button to turn on the screen in Mode B and my phone works well.

I hope this is helpful to someone, and I hope Samsung fixes this issue!!

useroifMtkvjnA
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey,

i have the same problem since today and i was able to work around it with the proposed way. Thanks for sharing. 

It seems to be related with the latest OTA update.

Let's hope Samsung will solve it

Mahan
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I'm reading lot of complaints on Samsung phone screens having this issue. I don't see Samsung providing any solution to this. This issue is year long. Phone is just 3 yrs old and is not reliable. I was planning to upgrade to S21 but now will rethink. Sorry to say this, it is very cheap quality and horrible service.