Original topic:

Galaxy Battery Part Replacement Problem

(Topic created: 05-27-2022 10:57 AM)
RF_Engineer
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

04-14-2022

I need a battery for my beautifully engineered Galaxy S7 Edge phone. I visited Samsung's partner website, "Batteries Plus Bulbs", (BPB) who has  partnered with "iFixIt" which supposedly repairs using authentic Samsung components sourced thru BPB.  

The BPB website has many broken links which either present nothing when clicked or returns "404" page not founds, so I called them instead. The headquarters is located in Wisconsin, while the iFixIt repair shops are a nationally franchised service.

The last time I took a phone which had a waning battery, directly in front of me, the 'technician' broke the cover removing it carelessly, unscrewed the twelve tiny Phillips screws, losing three of them into the carpet, because the dummy did not put them into a container, but laid them loosely on the table top, which he brushed with the sleeve of his shirt, scattering the screws and three into the carpet. He later tried to charge me $4.50 / replacement screw. 

After removing the back glass cover, breaking it, to disassemble the phone to gain physical access to the battery, there are several very delicate, tiny mezzinene connectors that must be decoupled, one of those is the rear camera assembly module connector. When he reassembled the phone with a replacement battery, he mangled the camera module assembly connector. The camera stopped working and after two weeks the battery would not hold a normal charge. I disassembled the phone, removed the battery to test it using my employer's Agilent/HP digital battery load/test meter ($5,600) in our combat radio laboratory. I discovered that the replacement battery, although marked 3.76Vdc at 3600mA, was in fact a 2800mA battery and it was defective, not Samsung, but an el cheapo clone battery.

So, that repair cost me, $120 + a new back cover and I had to scrounge 3 #56 Phillips screws, and to buy a **bleep**-shoot eBay replacement battery for an additional $20.  That battery worked properly, but the vendor has disappeared, else I'd buy a replacement from Mr. Chow.

I am reticent to take my S7 Edge into the iFixIt shop again. They are quacks, in my professional, engineering opinion, nor will I send my phone to Samsung, perhaps, I'll get it back sometime this year, or maybe they'll send a different refurbished S6 instead. Nope. I'll fix my own phone. If I break it, I have no one but myself to blame.

I called BPB to buy just a battery, they constantly yak about batteries, but they will not sell me just the battery. I can fix own phone, I am trained and better qualified than those technicians, but I need the battery.

I don't want to hear, about repair shops, as everyone of the shops that I have studied, their public reviews, exhibit poor quality tech scores, generally due to poor workmanship and rude customer service attitudes, eg., seems most of those 'technicians' are unskilled labor wearing tech hats or worse, who then become adversarial when customers complain. I would be glad to take my phone to a quality service center and have the battery replaced, but I can't find anybody, so I'll do it myself.

Where may I buy an authentic Samsung battery for SM-G935U, Galaxy S7 Edge LTE?

RF_Engineer

2 Replies
userQVVZpSPSaw
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I feel your pain in your question. The answer is nowhere since samsung doesn't need it. They need to get rid of old phones like yours faster, so you can buy a new one. But there is a way to get it. Just buy another one from Ebay for parts or not working, disassemble it and put it's battery to your phone. This is not a 100% guaranteed solution, but most probably you get used, but original one.

0 Likes
A_Big_Lion
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Ran into a similar issue with my S3...sentimental attachment. Bought a used one cheap on eBay for parts. Finally broke down and just bought a new, uglier phone, that actually has support from the manu.
0 Likes