cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Galaxy S20+ Poor battery, gaming and wifi performance - Exynos Version

Hi All,

I use S20+ 4G version as my daily driver. Not a heavy user and can use casual gaming for sometimes.

However, for the last 3 weeks of my usage, I noticed that my S20+ gets hot so easily. I also noticed that when this happens, the performance throttles the phone to the point where 120hz screen refresh looks like a 30hz when on load. I also noticed that the phone is not optimized, an example would be messenger. While using messenger, there's a 50% chance that messenger will enter 10fps mode where you literally see everything in 10fps (Not the phone but the app). This is not the case for my other devices (Also Samsung A70 Duos). Another thing, when gaming, (CODmobile and Mobile Legends only - FHD only, High settings only and not maxed) for about 10 minutes, the phone get's very very hot (You can get 1st degree burn if prolonged contact. I'm Serious). Also, the framerate drops to 25ish. That's just 10 minutes of gaming. Also for using networks ssuch as wifi or mobile data, the phone also get's hot. Wifi performance is poor since i notice drops but my internet is fine. Totally of 5-6hrs of battery time from 100% - 0% . I hope this is getting looked into. The phone is not optimized well. It's such a dissapointment to pay for the same price and get a much inferior version of the phone. I hope system and software updates can fix all of this. They need to prioritize the phone's performance than what they're focusing on recent update (camera). Last note, i browsed the internet for the same issue. Appears that i'm not the only one experiencing this. We're many. mostly people outside USA where Exynos version is sold.

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: Galaxy S20+ Poor battery, gaming and wifi performance - Exynos Version

Hello,

See if these steps may be helpful.

Get into recovery mode:

1. Hold all buttons on the S20 to restart the phone. Once the phone restarts, hold the volume up button and the power button down. 

2. The phone should boot into recovery mode

3. Once its in recovery mode, you can use the volume buttons to move up and down and the power button to select

4. Select "wipe cache"

5. Restart the phone. If that still does not work, repeat steps 1-3, and this time select "factory reset"

6. Restart the phone

For Samsung Care Authorized locations near you:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/locations/

Highlighted
Constellation

From the philippines, got me an s20+ thinking that the new soc would be a great upgrade for gaming (codm), but yeah, the exynos version is super inferior and crappy compared to the Qualcomm snapdragon 865.  I experience frequent game crashes. My fb messenger fps drops. My phone heats up real fast and my battery drains just as fast. I too was wondering if there was a software update fix for this. My previous s10+ somehow did a better job at gaming.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Also from the Philippines, same as you, i'm hoping that software updates will fix these problems, if not altleast reduce it, I think these problems are due to the hardware issue which is samsung's crappy exynos chips. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

the new july update made my s20+ 4g even worse 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Can confirm july update made gaming worse. It gets hot much faster

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hi ,

Tried above suggeations, the problem still persists, i will contact samsung support directly. Thank you so much for your reply.

Highlighted
Asteroid

As an update, they just suggested how can i take care of my battery and device, such as not letting it charge for long and not using it while charging and etc. I already knew this and i'm doing these practices with my old devices ever since. I have browsed internet to look for similar issues and maybe suggestions to fix what i'm experiencing. Found some factors that caused fps drops, phone tends to drop fps when phone reaches certain temps so it can cool down. This is so unnecessary for few minutes of gaming . . . Really.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I don't have the heat or battery issues, but the wifi problem is persistent with my device.

My internet is fine, no other devices have issues, but my new S20+ has constant wifi drops.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@usergLjj2nJpfQ Thanks for reaching out. Where are you located? As the Exynos Version is an International version, this could be affecting your Wi-Fi connections. Does this occur on all connections?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.