Original topic:

Galaxy S5 All Sound Stopped Working

(Topic created on: 1/20/21 5:32 PM)
TacoMonster1212
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

The text to speech stopped working.  Also, making/receiving phone calls and calling the voicemail stopped working. I need to explain this part a liittle more though... On her phone, you can call someone, it will be dialling, without any dial tone, then once the other person answers the call, it immediately ends the call. The same thing happens if someone tries to call her. She gets the call pop up, but once she accepts the call, the call ends.

I almost titled this, "Galaxy S5 Text to Speech & Making/Receiving Calls Stopped Working," but as writing this I found that no sound is coming from the phone at all.

So, I'm guessing this sound issue is what's causing the other things above to not be woking.

I figured out the sound was the issue after remembering the dial tone didn't play if I tried to make a call with her phone. Then I went to her ringtones, but when cycling through the ringtones it wouldn't play their preview tones. Then I went to youtube and tried to play a video and no sound played even with all volumes turned to max. Bluetooth is turned off, btw.

Any thoughts?

0 Likes
9 Replies
nopen1278
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
maybe try going into safe mode to see if sound works then. press the power button until menu comes up then tap and hold on power off safe mode should show up.
0 Likes
TacoMonster1212
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Nope. All issues are still present in safe mode. Interestingly enough, though, the phone wouldn't give me the option to go into safe mode the way you suggested, but I got itinto safe mode the other way (by powering the phone off, then turning it on and holding the volume down button until it got to the home screen).

The phone also doesn't even play a sound on start up. Just vibrates.

0 Likes
nopen1278
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
no sound at start up either. there may be a hardware failure. I did see some suggestions that the headphone jack could be dirty and causing the issue. or the charging port being dirty could cause the issue. to clean the headphone jack inserting and taking out headphones several times should clean it. for the charger you can use a toothbrush to clean it out.
0 Likes
TacoMonster1212
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I doubt either of those would be the issue, however it did give me the idea to see if audio would play if I plugged headphones into it... but still nothing.

0 Likes
nopen1278
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
does audio play through bluetooth? and have you tried going into recovery to clear cache partition?
0 Likes
TacoMonster1212
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I cleared the cache partition in the recovery mode. Regarding bluetooth, are you suggesting to see if it will connent to something else that should play audio?

0 Likes
nopen1278
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
yes like a bluetooth speaker or bluetooth headphones. just to see if sound is able to come from one of the output channels.
0 Likes
nopen1278
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
if there is no sound from the bluetooth output then it may be the sound driver for corrupt and doing a factory reset may fix it. be sure to back up your files and data before factory resetting.
0 Likes
TacoMonster1212
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Ya, I kinda figured a factory reset might be the only solution as long as it's not a hardware issue. Sadly, though, I cannot test the bluetooth sound because I don't have bluetooth headphones and I don't know where the power cord is to my bluetooth speaker. For now, she is trying out the Galaxy A01 just to have a phone that works until we either fix her S5 or she can get the S10+. Thanks for the suggestions and I will be sure to post again if the factory reset does or doesn't fix it.