cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MasterYoda1041
Asteroid

Galaxy S5 Audio Pauses Shortly After Screen Timeout

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Before I get too far, I would like to mention several things.

1. Based on what I’ve seen around the Samsung online community, the issue I’m having seems common
  2. Carrier: T-Mobile
  3. Device name: Galaxy S5
  4. Model number: SM-G900T
  5. All current phone and app updates, (as of today, Tuesday, February 13, 2018), are installed:
    1. Android version: 6.0.1
    2. Baseband version: G900TUVU1GQC2
  6. When charging (at least via a USB 3.0 cable connected to my laptop), there is no problem
  7. Power saving: On
    1. Start power saving: Immediately
  8. Ultra power saving: Off
  9. Brightness: Automatic
    1. Automatic brightness adjustment: 5
  10. Smart stay: Off
  11. Screen timeout setting: 1 minute
  12. Screen mode: Adapt display
  13. Auto adjust screen tone: On
  14. Daydream: Off
    1. When “On,” there is no problem
  15. I’ve tried troubleshooting steps I found on https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S-Phones/Galaxy-S7-Audio-Keeps-Pausing/m-p/59915#M14929
  16. I’ve also tried to solve the problem by using my phone in “Safe Mode” (which, as I’m sure you’ll figure out as you read further, does not help me much because it disables downloaded apps)

If I’m listening to audio via iHeart Radio, Radio.com, or Spotify, the audio stops roughly 16 seconds after my screen timeout activates (currently set at 1 minute). It resumes once I unlock my phone. When I use the Samsung Music app to listen to local audio files (files from my personal collection), I do not seem to have any such problems. This happens regardless of whether I use Wi-Fi or not, as well as with or without my BlueAnt Q2 Platinum Headset.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MasterYoda1041
Asteroid

Re: Galaxy S5 Audio Pauses Shortly After Screen Timeout

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just as I was about to send an e-mail message to iHeart Radio's support team earlier today, I came across this post on their help site. I do not know how current any of the information in the post is. According to iHeart, there's a known bug in the Android operating system. The bug was apparently fixed; OEMs have not passed the fix along to consumers. However, disabling "Battery Saver" mode (as is "recommended" under "Android 6.0 and above...") seems to have fixed the issue with all 3 misbehaving apps.

(Note: although "Battery Saver mode" is mentioned in the post, it might be called "Power saving" mode on your phone, as it is on mine.)

Long story short, when you want to use the iHeart Radio, Radio.com or Spotify apps, try disabling "Battery Saver" (or "Power Saver") mode until the issue is resolved. (Just remember to re-enable it when you're done listening.)

10 REPLIES 10
Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Good morning @MasterYoda1041

I am sorry to hear that. It is always so frustrating when you are getting into a song, and then it suddenly cuts out. Since it happens shortly after your screen turns off, I am wondering it it could be a permissions thing. Have you checked to make sure all of these are allowed to run in the background, and use your background data?

Highlighted
MasterYoda1041
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungCamp,

Good afternoon! Thanks for responding. No, I haven't. Could you please provide me with information on how to do that? I'm not sure I know how.

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@MasterYoda1041

I would go to Settings>App Manager> then choose the apps from the list. Once you have one of them pulled up, tap Data usage, then app settings, and see if you have any time out settings or data limiting protocols currently active on those applications.

MasterYoda1041
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungCamp,

Here’s what I found (hopefully it’s not too hard to follow):

iHeart Radio: Data usage: (For both “MOBILE” and “WI-FI,”) “VIEW APP SETTINGS” button is greyed-out; box next to “Restrict background data” is empty; App permissions: Location = On; Storage = On; Notifications: “Allow notifications:” On; “Set as priority:” Off; “Previews in pop-ups:” On; “Hide noti. on Lock screen:” Off; Set as default: “None set as default”

Radio.com: Data usage: (For both “MOBILE” and “WI-FI,”) “VIEW APP SETTINGS” button is greyed-out; box next to “Restrict background data” is empty; App permissions: Location = On; Storage = Off; Notifications: “Allow notifications:” On; “Set as priority:” Off; “Previews in pop-ups:” On; “Hide noti. on Lock screen:” Off; Set as default: “None set as default”

Spotify: Data usage: (For both “MOBILE” and “WI-FI,”) “VIEW APP SETTINGS” button is greyed-out; box next to “Restrict background data” is empty; App permissions: No permissions allowed; Notifications: “Allow notifications:” On; “Set as priority:” Off; “Previews in pop-ups:” On; “Hide noti. on Lock screen:” Off; “Set as default:” None set as default

(Just to compare the disorderly (hee-hee) apps to the one I used that seems to work, I’m including information about Samsung Music.)

Samsung Music: Data usage: (For both “MOBILE” and “WI-FI,”) “VIEW APP SETTINGS” button is greyed-out; box next to “Restrict background data” is empty; App permissions: Storage = On; Notifications: “Set as priority:” Off; “Previews in pop-ups:” On; “Hide noti. on Lock screen:” Off; “Hide sensitive content:” Off; “Set as default:” Set as default

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well thank you for being so thorough @MasterYoda1041. It doesn't seem like there are any current restrictions on their data usage. Are you certain that the apps are fully updated? It is possible too that they have newer app versions, but for nougat since you are most likely on the Marshmellow software still. If it is the screen turning off that is turning off the apps, there might be third party work-arounds, but not being Samsung products I can't really recommend them.

Community, does anyone have any suggestions?

MasterYoda1041
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungCamp,

Yes, I am certain the apps are fully updated.

I sent an e-mail message to Samsung after reading your most recent response to my post and decided I will attempt their second suggestion (perform a factory reset), as their first suggestion (perform a system software update) did not do anything. Their response included detailed information about how to backup my phone using Smart Switch and then reset it.

(Once I start the backup process, I just hope my laptop recognizes my phone long enough to let it finish. (To make a long story short, when I connect any sort of device that has storage capabilities to my laptop, it has a habit of acting as if I'm connecting and disconnecting the device repetitively.))

I'll try to remember to post again after I backup and restore my phone to let the community know if doing so fixed my problem or not.

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@MasterYoda1041

Alright, well do keep us informed! If you need further assistance from us or the community, let us know after you have had a chance to test that.

MasterYoda1041
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungCamp,

The support person who included steps to reset my phone said I should turn off the reactivation lock for my Samsung account by going to Settings > Security > Reactivation lock, and unchecking the reactivation lock option, if checked. However, there is nothing about a reactivation lock once I tap on "Security." Am I supposed to skip that step and proceed to removing my Google account so I can disable the FRP?

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@MasterYoda1041

I would go ahead and remove both your Samsung account and your Google account from the device, just to play it safe.