Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userRYZyrlMGy3
Constellation

Galaxy S5 Mail app no long works

JUMP TO SOLUTION

A couple of weeks ago the mail app (version 5.0.0.0400) on my Galaxy S5 stopped downloading messages from my two bellsouth.net (i.e., AT&T) accounts.  But every time I try to add an account, I get a message, "Unable to set up account.  Cannot safely connect to server."  I tried manual setup with various settings.  Same result evry time.  I took the phone to a local AT&T store, and the person there put Yahoo Mail on my phone.  Both accounts now work on Yahoo Mail, but I don't like that app, probably because I am used to the mail app that came on the phone.

Samsung advises that there is no later version of the original mail app.

Also, I have read various comments on the web that seem to imply an AT&T update may have caused the problem.

Does anyone know a way to get the original Samsung mail app back to working again?  Or, can anyone recommend another email app that looks and feels like the original that works?

In the meantime, Galaxy S5 has stopped downloading messages from bellsouth.net account.

Les

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userRYZyrlMGy3
Constellation

Re: Galaxy S5 Mail app no long works

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung Support was a big help in getting this corrected.  They sent a set of instructions that I followed, although what I actually had to do varied a little from what they suggested.  To re-set up my bellsouth.net email accounts on the Galaxy S5 Samsung Mail app, here is what I did:

1. Navigate to Email
  2. Three dots
  3. Settings
  4. Manage accounts
  5. + (Add accounts)
  6. Entered account name & password
  7. Manual Setup
  8. Select account type
  9. Next
  10. Message popped up: "Unable to set up account. Cannot safely connect to server"
  11. Ignore message
  12. Change incoming mail security type to "SSL (Accept all certificates)"
  13. Next
  14. Change outgoing mail security type to "SSL (Accept all certificates)"
  15. Next
  16. Choose desire Sync interval
  17. Check "Notify me when email arrives"
  18. Next
  19. Edit Names
  20. Done

And, I also re-set app preferences and cleared cache and data as suggested by Samsung.

So it worked, and the Samsung Mail app is now operating again.

2 REPLIES 2
userRYZyrlMGy3
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung Support was a big help in getting this corrected.  They sent a set of instructions that I followed, although what I actually had to do varied a little from what they suggested.  To re-set up my bellsouth.net email accounts on the Galaxy S5 Samsung Mail app, here is what I did:

1. Navigate to Email
  2. Three dots
  3. Settings
  4. Manage accounts
  5. + (Add accounts)
  6. Entered account name & password
  7. Manual Setup
  8. Select account type
  9. Next
  10. Message popped up: "Unable to set up account. Cannot safely connect to server"
  11. Ignore message
  12. Change incoming mail security type to "SSL (Accept all certificates)"
  13. Next
  14. Change outgoing mail security type to "SSL (Accept all certificates)"
  15. Next
  16. Choose desire Sync interval
  17. Check "Notify me when email arrives"
  18. Next
  19. Edit Names
  20. Done

And, I also re-set app preferences and cleared cache and data as suggested by Samsung.

So it worked, and the Samsung Mail app is now operating again.

user1B1EHMvxJ4
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Thank you so much - this was the charm!