cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usersJ4hWhyBDv
Constellation

Re: Galaxy S5 screen goes black when cold

JUMP TO SOLUTION

On my second S5 with this problem. Fine when warm, but when cold (maybe about 16°C or lower) the screen is bkack. Needs several/many attempt to start it, or warm it and it works perfectly. First happened with my first S5 after 18 months, my latest one was only 2 weeks old when it started to do it. 

usersJ4hWhyBDv
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Not the battery.
userG4BXEpUjlX
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Mine too. Worse at night. Works if I put under arm .

userG4BXEpUjlX
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Over it really. It seems like a common fault.  Back to iPhone or maybe a Sony. 

userK76WZvuJhI
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Mine is doing the same. Painful. Keep it warm close to my body and it comes on. Cold it wont.  God knows what cancer I'm getting from this action. Any fixes please. I'm in Australia.

usercZFljywzJ8
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

And here i thought my wife and I have S5 phones from a bad batch. I am happy of the fact that my armpits have found a fresh reason for their existence and am getting a sore bum from sitting on the phone to warm it up. This has been the case both in summer and winter here in New Zealand. Our cars which are parked outside overnight starts without a drama everytime early in the morning even after a night of below zero temperatures. But our bloody phones wont. These have been trouble after a few months of buying them. Have been with Samsung for over 12 years and looks like its time to move on to something else.

Highlighted
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, that's pretty weird. Could you start by providing us with some information about your device?

* Model Number

* Baseband Version (Software Information)

* Carrier

You can find this information in Settings > About Phone. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@usercZFljywzJ8

Hello again, just thought I would stop by. Let us know if you need any further assistance, we would be happy to help.

uservVgLyFfV1N
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the exact same problem. I live in India, a tropical country. But if the temperature goes below 25 degrees Celsius, the screen goes blank and I cannot get it to come on unless some heat is applied on the screen.

Samsung authorised service centres could not even understand the problem and gave vague possible solutions like replacing the battery or resetting  the phone, which I have done myself many times over. 

Very dissapointed with Samsung for not speaking out about this issue. I will never buy another Samsung device again. 

SM

user34K87tAaDN
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Had this annoying problem for 2 years, nursing the phone along - specially during the winter months. Tried all of the above solutions without success.

Turning off the screen brightness control in FBReader fixed it for me.

It could be that other apps that have a screen brightness setting would cause the same problem.