cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonC
Asteroid

Galaxy S6 active ignited on fire literally while on charger

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I don't normally put the effort forth to write posts like this. But this is insanity, to start off explaining what happened. I was asleep in my bedroom with my phone on the charger placed on my bed so i can hear the alarm. I awake in a daze to an intense burning sensation on my side. I can barely see as the plastic smoke had nearly completely filled my room, and the phone was on fire, not melted, not overheated, literally caught flame, some of the melted plastic from the phone and case burned and melted plastic on my side, more severe than a 2nd degree burn but I wouldn't quite say 3rd degree.

In anycase I now have a burnt hole in my bed, and my floor (since I threw it off me cause obviously burning) thankfully I had a towel nearby to cover it and took it outside to burn itself out. I was in shock, the phone nearly either suffocated me from the plastic melted smoke, or burnt my entire house down. I go to AT&T, they say it's not their problem, so I contact Samsung and am met with the worst possible customer service I have ever experienced. The support did not care whatsoever that the product nearly killed me. All they could tell me is to call the standard hotline, which I did who in turn told me to wait on an email, email was recieved 2 days later than when they told me. The email then was telling me to call the standard hotline... Then I contact the livechat and they tell me the department I need to speak with does not have an email or any way of them to contact, the support said the department HAS NO NAME OR DIRECT LINE. finally after 3 days I get an email support that was clearly not even proofread or spell checked, telling me that they will send a box for my phone to "evaluate it" but not after I send them information about my phone, as in the IMEI number, which put me on a wild goose chase to find, which again the live support team geniusly told me, to find the number, it's in the phones settings... I say I can't because phone is destroyed. they then tell me its written on back of the phone, I again say, the phone is completely melted and FUBAR.

They have no idea what they're doing and it's absolutely absurd, the only way they seem to help you is through phone, which loops you around to email to phone with no help. I just don't understand, I obviously can't call, they keep telling me to use a friends or families phone, I don't live with family, the closest one is in a different country. I can't even contact my friends short of showing up at their place uninvited or finding a pay phone through town, which in 2017 I don't even remember the last time I saw one. 

I have asked repeatedly through phone support and email to speak with someone higher up who I can make progress with, but they ignore me. Do I really have to get a lawyer or threaten legal action just to get anywhere? I know many people have had similar situations with their s6, s7, note 7, etc. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Supernova

Re: Galaxy S6 active ignited on fire literally while on charger

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You are the sweetest! We all appreciate your patience and cooperation with us. If you want to discuss your case in detail or need me to clarify any questions you have on it's status or anything, respond to my private message in our inbox. I'll do anything I can to help you out. I get that you could get this replaced through your carrier/insurance, but I don't think this is something you should have to pay for at all. Especially with what you've experienced. I look forward to talking to you if you decide to discuss this via PMs. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

23 REPLIES 23
userjAbQvnnLnO
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

First and foremost; I'm sorry to hear that happened, however, many news stories have reported such unfortunate events. Lesson learned: Never leave your phone on a fabric (non-breathable) surface ever, especially while charging. My Galaxy S6 edge + becomes extremely hot while charging -  leaving a nice little crack in the screen. I do make sure I leave it on a surface that allows the phone to ventilate properly. Not that I'm saying malfunctioning heat is acceptable, or, poor customer service, but until enough reports come through, who's doing what?  Do you have insurance on your phone? That should replace the explosive device. But then again, if you have the type of insurance I have, you're better off taking the loss and trying another brand. Anyways, Good luck! 

JonC
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I appreciate the sentiment, thank you. The insurance I have is the AT&T Mobile Protection Insurance, I have put in a claim through them as well to see what they can do, but they will only offer a samsung galaxy s7 active (which is an upgrade) but for a 112$ deductible fee, which considering what happened I feel is a little outrageous. I've been a samsung supporter for awhile now, but all this is really starting to change my views. I really hope they can do right by me, I am wary to even go the insurance route and get the s7 just to have it malfunction again and actually burn my house down. 

Edit: I did fail to mention also, the room is A/C cooled and dehumidified, I understand the fault of putting it on a cloth surface but the heat was completely from the phone itself not outside environment as well, the room was between 66-68* F. 

Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My other advice in the meantime, so at least you can stay connected and be able to dial phone numbers, is to use google hang outs (formerly google voice). Google will give you a free phone number and you can dial from google hang outs webpage or app or from the gmail web page. I do not mean this to be a permanent fix. It works really well from my laptop if I use a pair of head phones with a microphone on the wire of the headphones. I'm guessing you have internet and computer access because you posted here on Samsung+ Community. I hope you do so you can use something like Google hang outs. Lots of people use Skype and Kik and Whatsapp but I really like Google hang outs. I know my solution isn't great or ideal. I have faith in @SamsungMel

@JonC Let me know if you are successful in getting reconnected or need help in the mean time until all is said and done on the phone end of things. If you need help setting up a phone number with an app, I can walk you through it. I don't want you to be incapacitated dialing out wise through all of this.  Google hangouts also can receive phone calls, texts and voicemails. 

✨KLHN1986 REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR (ELITE)✨
☆ If you like my answers, I would love stars☆

The rank of contributor is a rank assigned
to community members that have been recognized for
sharing high quality answers and material to the Samsung+ Community.
Contributors do not formally represent Samsung
JonC
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You are a godsend, I had no clue about google hangouts, I thought I was being all high tech learning how to text from my laptop. I will definitely use this now, and yeah after speaking with some family i'll have the burn checked out, as this incident happened on Sunday, the burn is still tender and painful, maybe getting worse but i haven't done much but clean it and ointment every now and then. 

Thank you!

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@JonC,

I am glad you brought this up here. What you are dealing with needs to be dealt with appropriately. I will ensure this gets dealt with on Samsung's end. 

As far as with the actual issue itself (I actually just turned off my Xbox One controller, that's how long this is probably going to be), there are points that have already been brought up by @userjAbQvnnLnO. You know it's funny up until I read this I have ALWAYS charged my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and Samsung Galaxy S8+ right next to me in bed, and I think I'm not going to do that anymore. Never can be too careful I suppose. 

It's true, the phone gets hot while charging. It's expected to happen. The rate at which the electrons move from the charger itself to the phone cause friction which henceforth causes heat. And because we use Fast Charging, it is moving even faster than regular charging which causes even more heat. So yes, it's gonna get toasty. This is one of those things that I tell people not to do, yet I secretly do myself because it's a habit; don't leave your phone charging while in a case that blocks ventilation. That's one of the downsides of smartphones actually; there are no fans. Of course, with technology now we have found other ways to cool off the device, and have implemented security features which lessen the chance of overheating to the point of melting or burning. The phone is designed to detect the internal temperature of the device and actually shut itself off or stop charging automatically if it gets past a certain temperature. Now, since obviously, that didn't happen we can safely say that the phone was defective anyways. 

Dealing with something like this is no easy task. It's a delicate situation and you feel unsafe with the device because of what happened. Trust me it's not any easier for the person on the other end of that chat or phone call. I was that guy. I was that guy sitting at my desk in the middle of the night, peacefully rolling around in my rolly chair, getting hundreds of calls from people freaking out that their Note 7 might blow up. It's scary for me, and for you. I don't know maybe I'm the only one but if you freak out about something, I feel the same thing you do. I can attest to the way some Customer Service representatives handle things, and sometimes they don't do their job. But I can say there are good ones out there, trying to do things the right way, follow policy, follow what they think is right. It's more common we hear about the bad things regarding CS, than the good. However in my book, regardless if it's policy or not; when dealing with something as delicate as this, you have to be direct, and quick to act. The way it was handled was wrong. You shouldn't have been re-directed as many times as you had been. I don't work for Samsung, but as I said before, I worked for a company handling a very powerful and popular carrier in the US's Technical Support. The way I would have dealt with this immediately has you go to a store, and hand over the device so it can be sent back to Samsung and be evaluated. 

As far as compensation, that's up to Samsung - I cannot give any information regarding that. I don't know what will happen to be honest, but in the morning I will check to see what Moderator comes online first and I'll be sure to share your post with them. I'll make sure you are taken care of appropriately. 

As far as the calling thing goes, that is going to be a bit difficult. I know the struggle; having to call a company about a problem but can't because their device is the problem. We will see what we can do without having to call anyone for now.

I do want to thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have (unfortunately) been reading a lot of gripe regarding the way CS is handling things, and it's something I've been meaning to bring up. But I will be sure to bring it up now. 

I understand you are thinking of taking legal action, and since I am not an employee I can't really speak to this except I hope that it get's resolved before it comes to that. Give me a chance to see what I can do on your behalf, and we will go from there.

I'll keep you posted on what is going on.

Cheers

Acrillix - Samsung Community Valued Contributor Elite Member
Be sure to click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you and "This Helped Me" if it's helpful.
My Blog - Guru of the Galaxies: http://guruofthegalaxies.com/
JonC
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you so much! You should be head of their department as far as I am concerned. Smiley Happy The explanation and everything helps me understand things much better. I don't think I mentioned this before but I'm a big fan of samsung products honestly, and have never had much issues with my s5 and then s6 active until this first problem. (first smart phone was an iphone and boy that was a mistake but that's neither here nor there).

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and contact me. Obviously i'm a little shooken and frustrated but I make it a point to remain calm and patient and polite with the support staff (I'm aware it's not their fault at all). As anyone in my situation (I hope) I would like to avoid legal involvement or any unnecessary hassles or stress, i'm not looking for a settlement or handouts, I would never think of placing the blame on a malfunction if it had been an error on my part, and I even so purchased the insurance for it, I can get it replaced through AT&T's insurance company Asurion, but for a deductible fee and I don't really have a gaurantee that phone won't have a similar issue. My first move once this happened was take it to the AT&T store, who told me they couldn't do anything but could sell me a new one (wasn't happy about that but that's AT&T not samsung) 

Again thank you very much, I will post when I learn more

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You are the sweetest! We all appreciate your patience and cooperation with us. If you want to discuss your case in detail or need me to clarify any questions you have on it's status or anything, respond to my private message in our inbox. I'll do anything I can to help you out. I get that you could get this replaced through your carrier/insurance, but I don't think this is something you should have to pay for at all. Especially with what you've experienced. I look forward to talking to you if you decide to discuss this via PMs. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userO1n0PnAS3A
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I feel you, my phone too has burst in flames. 4 months old brand new. How , what am I too do

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can I have your full model code and IMEI number via private message?