cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
condott9
Asteroid

Galaxy S6 bad battery drain after update

Updated to Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow) several weeks ago and have been experiencing sever battery drain.  When looking at battery status top users are consistantly Andoid OS and/or Google Services.

I have wiped cache, run in safe mode, turned off auto backup, wifi and bluetooth.  Nothing seemed to help.  This weekend I decided to perform a compelete factory reset and only install minimum apps back onto phone: Samsung Pay, Gmail account and 2 banking apps.

It does not appear that phone every goes into deep sleep and Android OS is keeping phone awake for extended times.

This morning I pulled phone off charger at 7:30am, 15 minute ride to work and phone has been on desk all day.  Wifi and Bluetooth were left on.  Made no phone calls, no Google searches, sent 3 text messages and accessed banking app for < 60 seconds.

~9 hours later battery is showing 72% with Android OS and Google Services as top power users.  Battery graph and Android detail attached.  Had screen on for 3-4 minutes taking screen capture and reviewing battery information and now with phone off for ~20 minutes battery now showing 65% (see last photo).  Need help as can't use this phone when traveling for work with this battery life.

Any suggestions???

S6 Battery.jpgAndroid OS.jpgBattery 2.jpg

167 REPLIES 167
TravisB
Asteroid

Re: Galaxy S6 bad battery drain after update

Outside of upgrading to the S7 Edge (which has a fantastic battery btw),There really is no solution.Marshmallow is a BIG update and the S6 is starting to show its age to you.

condott9
Asteroid

Hard to believe solution is to replace a 14 month old phone.  Before update to Android 6.01 which occured 2-3 weeks ago the phone made it through an entire day and had 40%+ battery life at 10:00pm.

After update phone is routinely below 20% before 5:00pm.   No apps added since update and have tried factory reset.  Seems to point towards update as causing the battery drain impact.

Neutron Star

Do you have Google Now launcher? I had it installed on my S4 and it drained the battery. Uninstalled and everything was better.

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

wythyntime
Constellation

I am experiencing the same thing. Everthing is set to default. No 3rd party launchers or anything. Battery is going down faster than before update. My phone is only 2 months old.

P1Ralinovski
Constellation

Yes I have the same problem Android OS is on first place with stay awake more than 1hr always ! Even after factory reset .... I tried everything ,save mode same thing ...
Black Hole

Hi, P1Ralinovski. We want to thank you for being part of our Samsung Community and are so happy to see you reaching out to your fellow members for assistance and support. We would like to recommend you take some steps to ensure that your device is working optimally. First we recommend clearing the cached data on your device. To do this you will power down the device and upon start up you will hold the volume up, home, and power keys until the device powers on into a boot mode. Once there you will use the Volume keys to navigate to the wipe cache partition option. You will then use the power key to select this. This will delete only temporary files used by the device and should not delete any saved data. Once this is complete. You will navigate to the reboot system option and use the power button to select this.

Next is go into your date and time settings. Once there would you please set your device clock to manual and then set it to the wrong time. After you have done this, please go to your home screen and close all the applications using the recent apps button to the left of the home button. After you have completed all this, please go back to the date and time settings and set it back to the correct time and set it back to automatic time. This will ensure that your device is optimally synced with your network.

P1Ralinovski
Constellation

I tried that and it is the same Adnroid OS is awake more than 1h after 8h on battery it is sending a lots of data....

Black Hole

We recommend including additional information about you device. This would include your full model number, carrier, current baseband, and any information on any other applications you are using. It does appear that you have your WiFi on, are you using this with an accessory that utilizes any S Health applications, the Gear manager, or other application that utilizes bluetooth. This information may help in assist figuring out what is leading to your battery drain. 

P1Ralinovski
Constellation

I don't use Wifi often only when the signal is realy bad,but even at home were the signal is good and I don't turn the wifi on if the phone sits on the table always Android os is first on the chart I have to use the phone realy heavy to bring screen to be on the top of the battery chart. So my model is SM-G925T It is Tmobile 128gb version,Baseband: G925TUVU4EPF1,June security patch. I have S health turned on ,I don't have that many 3rd party apps installed ,FB,fb messenger ,fitbit,livescore,skype,TV go the Exfinity app,whats app and viber,most of them the auto sync is off ,the default email app the sync is manual no push notifications ... Like right now for 40 min on battery the phone lost 4% with 15 min of Screen time reading messages from whats app. First is Screen53% ,second is Android OS 46% -used 22mah