cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qwitecontrary
Constellation

Galaxy S6 caught on fire

I received a text from my son this morning.  He woke up in the middle of the night to noise that sounded like a taser.  He smelled smoke immediately.  His Galaxy S6 had ignited while plugged into the charger!  He unplugged it immediatly and said that the charger port on the phone is fried.  He is going to Best Buy after work to buy a wireless charger so he will still be able to charge and use his phone.  Scary!  I noticed this seems to be a common problem with the S6.  Do I need to file an insurance claim?  If this is a defect, shouldn't the manufacturer take care of it?

5 REPLIES 5
NPank
Astronaut

Re: Galaxy S6 caught on fire

Sounds like an electrical fire and has to do with the charger and probably not the phone. If it wasn't an authentic charger I can see why this could've happened. Also samsung devices have a 1 year (I believe) warranty from original purchase to cover manufacturer defects, since this being an s6 it would be out of warranty

qwitecontrary
Constellation

Not an electrical fire - he is in a brand new dorm at college.  And, yes the charger is "authentic".  So, with just a 1 year manufacturer warranty, I guess we are out of luck?  

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Hey there @qwitecontrary,

I'm sorry to hear this has happened to your son phone and I hope he is ok.

I will gladly assist you with this.

If you don't mind providing some additional information in a private message here. http://bit.ly/2GGYul4

Full model code:

IMEI number:

Was he injured when this happened?

Was anybody else hurt when this happened?

Was any property damaged when this happened?

Was your son using the original Samsung charger when this happened?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Hello again @qwitecontrary,

I just wanted to check in to see if you still needed any assistance?

str8upx
Astronaut

The S6 is a dinosaur, that aside.. The charger was probably to blame but IMO the phone is no longer safe to charge (or use in general). Once the electrical components have been compromised it's too risky.