Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Linadro
Constellation

Galaxy S6 will not charge, only via USB

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello there,

Got my Galaxy S6 phone 2 months ago. after a few weeks - it stopped charging.
tried with various cords and different locations, and these are the findings:
     1. it will charge only with one of my chargers, and only in one location in the house, and even then it will stop charging after some time.
     2. it charges well when connected to PC USB - both at home and at work.
     3. however.. while charging from USB works, the PC will not recognize the phone, so I can't transfer data etc. to PC.
    4. extrenal battey, car charger - won't charge.

is this a software issue - should I update my version?
is it battery issue? should I go for replacement?
port issue? how come it will charge from USB / one location?

please help!
Thanks Smiley Happy

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Linadro
Constellation

Re: Galaxy S6 will not charge, only via USB

JUMP TO SOLUTION

thanks for all the replies!
my issue is now solved:
the charging port of the phone has different connections within (like - for high voltage charge, low voltage charge, data transfer etc).
apparently, some of those got damaged.
I took the phone to a very good technician, that replaced the charging port (cost ~ 30$).
he did it without removing the screen - this is important - because the screen is glued to the body, and may get cracked. he opened it from the rear side.
now all works fine - the charging and the PC data transfer.

I hope I helped Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
Andrea01
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was having the same problem. But mine is a port problem. And I am still under warranty, but my carrier (which is Verizon) said that anything with the port is not covered under the warranty so hopefully yours is something else good luck ☺

Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, Linadro. We thank you for being part of the Samsung Community and for your active participation. That is quite an interesting situation. We would suggest including additional information about the device in question. This would include the current android version of your device, and full model number. This is pertinent, as the new marshmallow android version requires you to select the USB option when connected to a PC. We would recommend ensuring that all applications are closed when charging your device and only using the charger that came with the device. If you do charge with an alternate cable, please ensure that it is a high speed USB cable. Please be aware that some USB outputs do not produce enough power to charge your devices and may require that you use an alternate USB adapter through a 12v adapter. You may attempt charging your device at a local retailer to test if this is isolated to these outlets. 

S6-LG
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just encountered this problem. 

Samsung, any ideas. I have two Samsung chargers and original Samsung cables. 

As the other user reported, it will charge when connected to a PC.

The Chargers and cable work with other devices.

Kind regards.

Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, S6-LG. We want to welcome you to our Samsung Community. We do recommend that you include additional information about your device that may be helpful in resolving this for you. This may include your model number, current android version, if you are aware of any physical or impact damage that has been experienced by your device recently, and any steps you may have already taken to try and resolve this yourself. This information helps to provide the community with a better picture of what you may be experiencing and provide greater support. 

We would recommend clearing the cached data of your device. To do this you will power down the device and upon start up you will hold the volume up, home, and power keys until the device powers on into a boot mode. Once there you will use the Volume keys to navigate to the wipe cache partition option. You will then use the power key to select this. This will delete only temporary files used by the device and should not delete any saved data. Once this is complete. You will navigate to the reboot system option and use the power button to select this.

You may also take additional steps to isolate this, you can place your device in Ultra power saving mode and then attempt to charge using a normal charger, and if successful then remove from this mode.

Additionally, you may place your device into safe mode to determine if a third party application may be leading to this. For this, you would have to power down your device and upon start-up as soon as your screen lights up you will release the power button, then press and hold the volume down key until the device completely boots up to the home screen. If you have completed this successfully, you will see a small icon in the bottom left of your device stating the device is in Safe mode. This mode will simply disable all 3rd party apps on start-up and will not delete any information from your device. If at any time you would like to remove your device from safe mode. Simply power down and start your device normally.  Keep it in safe mode for about 2-3 hours and attempt to charge the device normally. 

Flisa125
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have an s6 as well after the last software update it keeps saying that the battery is charging slower than it's being used and to connect to original al charger.

This as is annoying me to the point that I'm considering a different /new phone.

kellybrandon
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having this problem in the last few days.  (Perhaps since I did the recent software update!?!)

My phone is SM-G920F. Android version 6.0.1, security patch 1st august.

Charging was fine, any charger any lead would charge fine.  Now my phone is very 'selective' over which it will charge from.  I have tried multiple combinations of leads and plugs, including the samsung plug and lead, and there is no logic to it!

It won't charge from the samsung plug and lead combination, but if i plug the lead into a computer/car charger it will charge, also works if I put the samsung lead into a muti charger plu (x3 usb sockets).  But not in any of the other 5-6 plug I have tried.  Will charge of computer off any old lead, but then not from a plug using those same leads.  Any ideas cause I can't keep my computer running 24x7 to charge my phone.

I feel this may be update related.  I have done a soft reset and wiped the cache, and started in safe mode to no avail.

Can anyone help please?

Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, @kellybrandon

We would like to recommend that you check your device settings under display and let the community know if you have screen saver, Smart Stay, Keep screen turned off, and if LED indicator are enabled. This may help the community in determining what you are experiencing. Please also check your device for any updates available in the play store for your device. 

kellybrandon
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for that reply, for some reason i wasn't notified.

I have no screen saver and led etc aare set to standard settings.

No updates available - actually its since that last update this seems to be happening!

I have invested in a very high quality cable and a wireless charger from amazon - which do work but its still a problem given it will only charge off certain plugs /wires/computer

Galaxyberry87
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Since last update my s6 is selective to what charges it too.