cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S7 Edge Transferring Contacts

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My phone updated several apps overnight (I didn't look at all of them, so I'm just assuming that one of them was Contacts and/or something related to Outlook) and when I got up today all of my Outlook contacts were gone. I've checked on Outlook.com and they still appear there. I've restarted the phone and resynced my Outlook with the phone, but these contacts just will not appear in my Android any longer. What, if anything, can I do to fix this? This is my first Android and I imported from my Windows Phone / Outlook contact list so that I wouldn't have to enter them all in again. Please, help.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Galaxy S7 Edge Transferring Contacts

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I stumbled upon a solution on my own. I had attempted to remove the Microsoft / Outlook account and add it again, which didn't completely work because of a secondary Outlook connection, called "Outlook Support", that cannot be removed without resetting the phone to factory settings.

However, in the Outlook app itself, under the app's Settings menu, I found my outlook account listed under the "Accounts" subheading. I clicked that, assuming that I could remove my account and then add it again to fix the contacts issue. And to my surprise, there is an option there to "Sync contacts" which for some reason had gotten turned off. I can only assume that this was part of the update that caused my syncing issues. But turning this on (and perhaps clicking the "RESET ACCOUNT" option, which has this bit of info with it: "Having sync issues? Try resetting your account to fix it."

TL; DR:  I fixed my sync issues by using the Outlook email app's settings to turn the Sync back on.

12 REPLIES 12

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, @HyruleBalverine! I'm only going to be online for a few more minutes today, but I'll be happy to help you out! It's definitely strange that they just disappeared. Can you tell me a little more about your S7? Things that will help the most would be the exact model number and Baseband version (both under Settings>About Device) for your device as well as your carrier. Also, what steps did you take to sync your Outlook data back to your S7?

I'll be sure to get back to you as soon as I can tomorrow! 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry for the late reply, apparently the auto generated email notices went into my spam folder.

I'm using Model number SM-G960U and Android version 6.0.1 and am using T-Mobile's prepaid network.

As far as resyncing, I've tried signing out and back in and there was an option to turn off the sync (I don't remember where I found it now) which I turned off and back on (and it showed that it was synced up as of the date and time that I turned it back on).

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No worries! I'm glad you were able to find the email! Smiley Happy 

As for the model number, was it actually SM-G930 by chance? I wasn't able to find anything about a 960 model and just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same phone. Have you tried checking the Master Sync option on your phone? (This might have been the option you found before)  I've seen that help out in a couple of other threads just recently. Here's a different thread with some instruction on how to make sure it's turned on. Let me know how this goes! 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, it was 930, not 960; sorry about that typo. The master sync is on. That wasn't what I'd used before, or if I did, it wasn't via that way. I think I've figured out how I tried to re sync before: Settings --> Accounts --> Outlook --> "my-account"@hotmail.com and from there I have the option to turn on or off the optin to "Sync Contacts".

This option is on and currently shows as having been last synced on 21 April 2017 at 5:16 AM PST. In my contacts settings, under the heading "Display" the option "Contacts to display" is set to All contacts. Yet, for some reason, I still can't get my Outlook contacts to display.

I've just ended up adding into the Galaxy contacts app those contacts that I use most frequenty as I want to be able to have those in my phone. I have no idea why it won't sync my contacts from Outlook any longer as the only change that was made that night was app updates. I did not change any settings at all.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It's ok! I'm lost as well as to why these contacts got removed after an update, but you can also use Smart Switch to resync these Outlook contact with your S7. Here is a link with instructions on how to do this! (It's the last option on the page) As for the program itself, you can find download links here. This should help get the last of the Outlook contacts back onto your phone! 

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I stumbled upon a solution on my own. I had attempted to remove the Microsoft / Outlook account and add it again, which didn't completely work because of a secondary Outlook connection, called "Outlook Support", that cannot be removed without resetting the phone to factory settings.

However, in the Outlook app itself, under the app's Settings menu, I found my outlook account listed under the "Accounts" subheading. I clicked that, assuming that I could remove my account and then add it again to fix the contacts issue. And to my surprise, there is an option there to "Sync contacts" which for some reason had gotten turned off. I can only assume that this was part of the update that caused my syncing issues. But turning this on (and perhaps clicking the "RESET ACCOUNT" option, which has this bit of info with it: "Having sync issues? Try resetting your account to fix it."

TL; DR:  I fixed my sync issues by using the Outlook email app's settings to turn the Sync back on.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Oh! Well I'm glad that you were able to figure this out on your own and I definitely need to make a mental note about this just in case I see this again. Feel free to reach out me, or any of the other mods, if you come across any other problems! 

SarithaMadhav
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

thank you...it helped a lot...and end for mistry...

userywWR9mqKns
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This process does not work with Windows 10 app, OUTLOOK. I've tried multiple methods to try and sych Outlook contacts to Galaxy S7 Sprint. Even changed Samsung account to direct email sych with new @outlook alias